our new flock!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by valibby, Sep 17, 2010.

1. valibby

valibby Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Nanaimo
    Excited newbie here!

They just approved backyard chickens in my city about 6 months ago. After our initial excitement, we decided it was probably best to wait till after our baby was born to start a big new project. BabyBoy is 4.5 months old now, so when we saw a pre-built coop come up on craigslist last weekend we jumped on it (we are not carpenters... YET). Then we stalked craigslist for chickens. Our bylaw allows 4, but we have three adults and three kids, and that didn't quite seem enough, so we're sneaking a few more in and will give our neighbours eggs now and then.

Today we went out and got two (over-priced, I'm sure) Ameraucana-Araucana cross hens, two Buff Orpingtons, and two Rhode Island Reds. The A-As are pullets and from a separate flock, so it's already clearly where they are in the pecking order and I'm already thinking of building them their own little chicken tractor. My daughter has claimed them as hers because she has long said "I was thinking to get TWO chickens," so when we went to pick those ones up first she assumed they were hers. She has named them Leaf and Keasha. The other 4 don't have names yet, but I'm mulling over some.

We have a fully fenced yard with many fenced compartments within it, but the chickens have their own makeshift enclosure, as well. I'm sure we will soon discover we need to build them a proper enclosure, but the coop is secure. We made our excited newbie error and let them out in their run when we got them home (why would we not want to watch them scratch and peck??) but then come dark they didn't know where to go. We managed to bribe some with pears and some oats, then we put a light in there. Then one got caught in the fence trying to jump onto a rail to roost and we got her. Then her partner just stood around on the ramp and *I* got caught on some fence trying to shove her inside. But they're in now and nice and quiet. I'm trying to resist the urge to go peek at them. I'll end up going, mostly to see where they're roosting. When we were putting the two stragglers in one of the AAs was in a nesting box.

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Congratulations on your new chickens! And good job getting the coop before the chickens. [​IMG]

If you can leave the chickens inside the coop for a week, they will then know that it is "home" and put themselves to bed at night. Just make sure it's big enough for all of them inside. I think the light and treats combo is smart too.
    Some people think chickens are stupid. I think they are very incremental in their learning, and once they learn something they really "get it".

BYC is a great place to come for awesome pictures & stories of chickens as well as a ton of knowledge-sharing & advice when you need it.

Enjoy your chickens! [​IMG]

3. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    [​IMG]

4. valibby

valibby Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Nanaimo
    We got our first eggs! Neither in the provided nest boxes, of course. The more docile RIR built one in the far corner that only my husband can reachy, and then the grump RIR followed her over there afterward.

5. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome to the BYC.
    Nice to see a local on here. We recently moved from Nanaimo to Errington, just a bit more breathing room. lol
    Enjoy your new hobby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by