Our new free nest boxes

ShaggysGirl

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Temperance, MI
My DH's friend's sister used to have chickens on her farm but now doesn't now. She gave us her nest boxes. More than we need but they will work great!
32279_nest_box.jpeg

The chicks 13 weeks old will not go into them at all. I'm hoping they do when it is time to lay.

Hello, fellow Michigander! You might think about putting golf balls or wooden eggs in the nest boxes when they turn 18-20 weeks old. They'll soon figure out that's where they should lay. WHAT a score on those nest boxes! They're aweosme!

Quote:
Funny about the golf balls. My hen has chosen one nesting box as her favorite. She'll move the golf balls around several times while she's getting ready to lay. I thought that they were bothering her so I removed the golf balls from her favorite nesting box. The next day, she laid in a different box that had golf balls in it!
roll.png
Crazy chickens!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Those are nice. They look easy to make. Might have to try it. My boxes look like they were a trash can find. I worked hard on them though. Many red fingers when I got done with the hammer.

What a nice gift. I guess she will be one of the first you will give some eggs when your girls start laying.............

Quote:
You bet and her brother a good friend of DH get eggs for life since he has helped so much with the building and fixing up around here
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom