Our new girls!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bethandjoeync, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    We have 16 little week old chicks and decided we would like to have eggs sooner than they will be ready for. so we bought 4 hens that are between 7-9 months old. we got 1 NHR, 2 EEs, and 1 SL. and we have already gotten an egg!! I told a friend of mine not to bother buying egg dye for easter lol, because they are custom colored by my new girls!!

NHR (after further investigation of this chicken, we realized she is not a BR but a NHR instead, which is fine with us, because she is beautiful)
    [​IMG]
    SL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EE 1 (suspected egg layer)
    [​IMG]
    EE2
    [​IMG]

We plan to play with them and spend lots of time with them so they get more used to us. we are so excited about our new venture!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yeah waiting on those chicks to lay seems like forever!!! You have some beautiful gals! Congrats on the egg!

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Nice looking birds. I love the Easter Egg idea.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Sorry, but your Barred Rock is not a Barred Rock. It is a mix. Same thing, IMO, for your Sex Link.

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Quote:I was wondering that myself. the only barred rock variety I have seen are black and white, but I went with what they guy told us thinking maybe it was just a different variety. either way she is really pretty and that is why I picked her. the 'sex link' to me (after looking at tons of pictures on here in the 'what's this breed?' forums) seems to be a NHR. But she ended up being the most friendly so far of them all. I hope to get a little bit better pictures, once the rain stops... so we can see for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by