Our new little ones--question about daily petting routine

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Graiae66, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Graiae66

Graiae66 In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Georgia
    New Chick Mom's excitement is infectious (I can't believe I'm posting chick pictures, lol). Today, we got our 6 Australorps and 6 Buff Orpingtons. They are just adorable. I guess I am a weirdo in that while I think little critters are cute (puppies, kitten, kids), I enjoy them more when they get to be about 8-10 in human years, lol. I think adolescent and adult birds are beautiful, too, in other words...

I'm going to swing by Wallyworld and grab a couple of red lights tomorrow--less glare for the girls. Also, I've been gently picking up chicks from underneath every day (we also have a quartet of slightly older chicks in the 2nd brooder) and stroking them gently and talking to them. They don't like it much! Just keep on doing this? I assume they get a little more used to you as they get older, and you are more familiar? Thanks! And congrats to all the other new chick moms and dads!

dee

[​IMG]

2. warmwater

warmwater Songster

Jun 7, 2009
    Hi...welcome! When I get new chicks I hold them and talk to them several times a day. It's good to get them use to being picked up and handled....let them eat feed out of your hand. Taking the time now is worth it. When they get bigger/older it's so nice when they run up to you and you can pick them up to pet them. I feel they are calmer adults. Enjoy your little ones.

3. Graiae66

Graiae66 In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks! I'll just keep up the daily talking and petting. [​IMG]

dee

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    All of our chicks are held/petted almost every day by myself and/or my children (under supervision). All of them can be picked up as adults, most are very, very friendly.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It helps if you could give them a treat at the same time.

6. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Keep petting them. I pet my first set of chicks, and they beleive i am their Momma. The second set had no contact with me, and always run away.

7. Graiae66

Graiae66 In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Georgia
    Wow, another Buckeroo Banzai fan! Yes, I hope to get some bugs and worms Friday...

Thanks,

dee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: