Our New Marans Chickie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EM Squared Farms, Sep 13, 2011.

1. EM Squared Farms

EM Squared Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
    We just had our first of 5 Marans eggs hatch.

Posted a "just hatched" pic on the website (under Purebred Show Chickens).

Will take new pics later today if the chickie is dried off and fluffy.

Those of you who like to watch chickie rearing will enjoy checking the site to watch the progress and growth of our chickies.

We hope another will hatch tomorrow !

Stay tuned.....

2. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I"m so jealous..I want Marans in the worst way. Enjoy them.

3. EM Squared Farms

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
    Quote:I think both colors are so cute as little chickies.

I put up a new pic today.

We wanted to go full force production on more Marans, but the mother hen decided to start molting. So, Marans production is delayed for now until she starts laying again.

Most people around here usually only want hens for egg laying. And Marans are our only LF breed we have. So, customers are lining up and we don't have many to sell. Hopefully in another month or so (however long it takes them to molt), we'll be back in full swing of Marans chickie rearing. I'm hoping for some more blue ones. They are cute in gray too, instead of the black and white. I don't think there is such a thing as an ugly chickie.

Check out our website: I keep new pics posted daily on the Purebred Show Chickens page.

What's your favorite color ? Tomorrow I'll try and find fabric in that color to use as a backdrop just for you ! [​IMG]

Thanks,

4. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I like the Black Copper Ones, but not the feather legged ones. I know...I"m boring. [​IMG] I'm in Massachusetts and I looked high and low for them locally, once I decided to go the hatchery route, they were all sold for the year. So, I got some Welsummers instead.
    Since you asked... blue. [​IMG]

5. EM Squared Farms

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
    Quote:Yeah, I was reading about Black Copper Marans and I think the British have started selectively breeding them to have clean legs.

I like them with the little bit of fuzz on their legs.

I was waiting to check with you before I take my daily pic. He/she is just starting to grow wing tip feathers. Going to go rummage through my colors of fabric and pick out a nice blue one for you.

Check back in an hour or so on my website: on the Purebred Show Chickens page !

Take Care,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by