Our new pet!!!

MRNpoultry

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Gibsonville, NC
Me and my brother were out in the yard and this ran up to us.
smile.png

IMGP1704.jpg

We need to tag him so he don't get caught up when I am squriel hunting. He in a box right now, I think he was abaned.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's very young. He still needs to be with his mom in order to learn how to find the right foods etc. and how to live in the "wild" He will not fare well otherwise. How long have you had him? You need to put him back where you found him (wait till morning now) and see if his mom finds him. If you've had him for awhile though his only hope might be with a wildlife rehabilitation center.
Why do you hunt squirrels?
JJ

Yeah
We had one before that we took to the wildlife center, I rather him find his mom but my brother wants to keep him. His he still nursing at this age?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really sweet! Several months ago, a squirrel adopted an uncle of mine. She came up to him while he was standing outside his truck. She climbed up him, hopped in his truck and road home with him.

She lived with them for several weeks. They never kept her caged, just left her a place to sleep and put out food for her (like guinea pig food or hamster food or something like that.) She would climb all over my uncle, and me and anyone else who would stand still long enough to let her.

It was REALLY WEIRD! A vet tech friend of mine said she was either brain damaged or rabid to be so friendly with people.

After a while, she was climbing around in their kitchen--she fell off a high shelf and died.

Nuttiest thing I ever saw!

Be careful of wildlife laws, though. I think in most places it is illegal to keep wild animals without a permit.

Cute squirrel!

Cassandra

He probably hunts squirrels to eat them. Most people I grew up around do (and it is really yummy though I hate to admit that!!!). That little guy is adorable. I have known quite a few people who had them as pets...they tame down really well, if he truly doesn't have a mommy.
smile.png

I am a wildlife rehaber, never renewed my cert this year but WAS certified by the state.

He should be on formula still. Feed him grapes (he can suckle on those) and try some walnuts, etc. Baby squirrel dehydrate very quickly, their eyes lose the "blackness" when they dehydrate.

Squirrels also commonly carry worms, which is no big deal if you wash well and keep clean, but they can be rough on young squirrels. Coccidia and rounds.....

Good luck with the little guy. he would do better with a rehabber as they do better in groups. Raised in group, they have a better chance of being released eventually as they seem to bring out instinctual behavior in each other.

His mom probably isnt around, or he feel through his nest. They are just made of leaves and sticks. He will keep running up to you, mom most likely will not come for him.....but do keep an eye out.

Can you give him food (grapes, banana, soft foods) in the meantime?

Feel free to contact me directly if you need any advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom