Our New Rooster.....But What Is He????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lesalynn, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    This is the thing: My rooster died back in July. Well, my F-I-L thought he'd get me another one, so he let all his 'buddies' know we were looking for a mature rooster. One of them drove up Friday nite with this rooster in a box. Well, it was evening time, which I thought was a good thing as far as introducing him to the flock. I let him out....and I couldn't believe how tiny he was. He's a pretty little thing, but my young cockerels are bigger than he is. Everyone has been getting along. But he is way smaller than what I wanted. I really need a large rooster, so that he will throw more size on future hatches. Anyway, this is what I got, and I'm curious as to what kind/type he may be....I have no clue. The only thing I can come up with is some type of bantam, probably a mutt. I will be rehoming him, and I'd like to be able to have some idea what he may be. Any thoughts whether negative or positive are welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    mix i think.

3. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    I guess mix too. He is pretty though.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    He looks like a mix. If those are LF hens that he is by then I would say he is not a Bantam. He could just be young. It is hard to tell from the pics. Possible that he is a game cross. People with Game cocks on tie cords and Standard poultry free range often get wind up with yard hatch crosses. The roosters from this can come small. Bantam rooster crossed over a Standard hen is not likely but very possible. Also some crazy cross of already crossed Standards, could have been accidental or intentionally done. Your best option to find out what he is would be to talk to the person who gave him to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by