1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our new solar powered coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Axlhoss, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Axlhoss

Axlhoss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    So cal
    i just finished the door and solar wiring this morning and the girls are now in they're new coop. With a lil coaxing we got them to go inside and they stayed while the door shut a half out later. The wiring took me a couple hours and one good zap but I figured it out. Any questions on the wiring I'll post more close up pics . really easy. [​IMG]

2. silver1polish

silver1polish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    Thats such a good idea!!

3. odysseychicken

odysseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    Axlhoss,

I am just about ready to wire up my coop door as well. It looks like you are using exactly the same set-up as I will be using. A car antenna with a 12v timer (the same one as you) and a deep cycle battery. I will eventually set it up will a solar charger as well. Is there any chance you can provide the wiring diagram you used? I am also trying to decide what size solar panel I will need to keep the battery charged. What size are you using and does it seem to be keeping up with the use?

Thanks

4. Axlhoss

Axlhoss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    So cal
    Odysseychicken,

Happy to help, I looked for hours on the web and had no luck getting a good grasp on the wiring. One guy with a 3 part chicken door series on you tube was the most helpful, but still he seemed to make it more difficult then it needed to be. [​IMG][​IMG] a 5 watt panel should be fine. I set my timer to open at 7 AM and then close 30 minutes later , from what I get if the door is open all day the motor is using power, so I give them enough time to get out and then set it to close after that . Let me know how it goes....

5. odysseychicken

odysseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    Thank you so much. I think I saw the same video series as you as well. He used a relay which I didn't think was necessary. Your diagram is the simplicity I was looking for. Mostly I just couldn't figure out the wiring on the timer. Did you happen to measure the amperage on the antenna? I think I would like to include an in line fuse just for piece of mind but don't know what size fuse to use.

I may go with a bigger panel. My antenna will be extended when the door is closed which means it will be drawing power all night. Although, I don't think it will draw much power except when its motor is actually running.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by