our new sun coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by addiedunn, Apr 13, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    We started a new coop this weekend. Our birds have been in an oversized box in the corner of our garage since we got them last year. They had no windows and just a chick door. But the only time they were in it was at night and we let them free range the back yard during the day. We started work on a bigger coop and I wanted to incorporate an old glass door that we think is original to the house. We reinforced good and caulked all around it. We had torrential rain today and it didn't seem to leak at all.
    We got the roof up, too but no pics yet of that. Went with the corrugated sun tuff stuff.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And me, taking a break with the chooks. I had peanuts in my nail apron..lol.
    [​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very nice. [​IMG]

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Looking good. Sure the girls will be happy with it! [​IMG]

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

5. addiedunn

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    We pretty much finished it yesterday before the rain today. All it needs now is a little tweaking here and there and some trim. And of course, a pen. My chicks free range the back yard every day, anyway. But I want to pen them from May 1 to mid July so my flowers have a chance to grow before they eat them! We fenced the veggie garden in, but the flowers are fair game for them until the pen is done.
    I was worried last night about them not going in the new coop. The old coop was in the garage and it's door is behind this new coop. I blocked it off and watched them last night. After a lot of discussion among them, they finally went in the new one. It HAD to be so much better! But that's just me....who knows what lurks in the minds of the chickens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Next to the big window, This is my favorite feature. We had a REALLY old split door in our basement and trimmed it up and painted it to hang on the coop.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the comments and thanks for looking. I'll post again when all is complete!! [​IMG]

ETA: What do any of you think about ventilation in this....does it look like enough? We're thinking about cutting two rectangles in the top of the back wall and screening it with chicken wire. But our winters can get pretty rough around here, so we would need to be able to block them off, too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I love the windows on it! Keep up the good work! [​IMG]

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Good job.......Pop

8. addiedunn

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Thanks, everyone.
    I'm glad DH and I could get it done and no divorce court! lol.
    I'm just worried there isn't enough ventilation for summer....any suggestions?

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I love the door used as a window. It will let in so much light and be so nice inside!

I would add some more ventilation, more for the winter vs. the summer... In the summer, you'll likely have that sweet dutch door open. But in the winter, when it's cold, the door will be shut. You'll want a way to exchange some air that is not blowing on your chickens. That back wall would probably be fine. Can't tell if you have a vent opening behind that door - if you do, then maybe the opposite wall would be better so that you have a bit of cross-ventilation.

Either way, build in a way to (temporarily) shut off your vents for when it's snowing or otherwise just too darned cold. Hinges work great, or sliders.

Nice job!

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    You might be a ble to make a screen door and leave it open so they can have plenty air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by