1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our new Winter/Breeding Call Duck pens.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Soaring Chicks, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    First off they are not done. I will be updating when I get a picture of them done. There wont be any paint or ponds till spring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is 5 all together. In the spring we will add paint and ponds. I also will split them up into their own breeding pens. Right now I have (2 Colors) pairs/trios in each one for they can keep each other warmer.
    So what do ya'll think?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Looking good! [​IMG] !

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Your hubby did a great job! [​IMG]

I see your drakes are trying to fight each other between the wire in the pictures! [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:[​IMG] looks like a khaki and a grey... Pretty ducks!

5. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Question: What is that clear sideing stuff for the roof?? How much does it cost per sheet? I'm really likeing those! [​IMG]

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Nice work - they look great!!

7. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Quote:you can get it at lowes where the metel roof sheets are. It is Plastic roofing and was about $14.95 a sheet ( i think can double check for you)
    They come in Clear,white,tan,green,smoke,and the blue like I got. You have to keep the heavy snows off of it ,which is easy take a broom or what ever and slide it right off.
    If you get some make sure you put the Screws in the raised parts of the ridges or it will leek.
    Yes the two bad boys are fighting . First time seeing each other. They have just come out of the house from being in lock down for wks. The Blue Fawn is a fighter. I think he was a boxer in another life. He will fight till he about falls over . He gets the buff so mad he'll bite himself intead of the blue fawn. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the kind words.
    It is 7x16x3 nest box it 2x3 the rest is the run in each pen.
    I really like the roof as it lets natural light in and warms up the nest boxes. Plus with a fall moon you can see them really good. The ducks seem to really love their new pens. They are been playing in the temp. pools and running and quaking in and out of the nest box and sleeping to do more fighting on the Buff and Blue Fawns cases.

8. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    No Lowes here.. We do have a Menards though.
    Off to look for this stuff! It is interesting to me and I like it since it will let natural light into the pens/coop. [​IMG]

They'll get along with each other shortly. I'll probably have that same problem with the other drakes I'm getting on Saturday. Full blown show down! [​IMG]

9. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Try a hour and 1/2 ride with 3 drakes and and 4 ducks fighting in a wire dog kennel . Oh with shavings in well was in the bottom of the cage. ended up in my tahoe and me riding home with the blue fawn in my lap. my ears still ring just thinking about it. Boy was that one loud,dusty,feather flying ride home. [​IMG]

10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Now you got me thinking.. I only have those HUGE Dog crates. I wonder if I could seperate the crate into 3 section with wire??

Mom has a new(er) Tahoe. We will NOT be takeing that since she doesn't even let dad drive it!
    We do have a 2000 Dodge Van since it has better gas mileage than the Tahoe. Mom did have a Dodge Charger, but she got a lot of tickets in that car since the gas pedal liked to stick sometimes out of nowhere. It was checked out by the DealerShip and they couldn't find anything wrong. [​IMG]
    Oh and dad has a Chevrolet Pickup.

Wow, we got off topic here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by