Our New Winter "Sun Room" Attached to Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancypo, Nov 9, 2011.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    We designed an extra winter covered run, that will let our girls have more dry, open space. We built it to withstand wind, rain and snow (increasing in Boise). We decided to use as much recycled materials as posssible, total cost was $20.00. We got free some old windows and shower doors, got the tohers cheap, used recycled wood. We decided at keep the run to the end of the fence, from the coop. Then we can pull down in the spring for the veggie garden area to be planted. Here's what we built-

[​IMG]

[​IMG] gilrs exploring

We did the deep litter method inside, and I added 2 mini straw bales, for them to climb on, ($2.00 at a yard sale), and the trap door from the coop goes right in. They LOVE the extra space when we're at work. It will be great too, during heavy rain and snow [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Nice!

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    [​IMG]

4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes, they were short on space with the 8" of snow we had last winter, 0 degree weather. I saw some designs and had an epiphany!!! Sun room!!!

5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    We found that the sun room, even on a cloudy day, is about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temp! Here's the girls today taking a communal dust bath in the sunroom-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    They sure do look they like it. Good job!

7. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Great idea. I have a huge old satellite dish I think I will put plastic over it and lay it on its side. I do have some windows though.
    Nice job

8. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    They really love it in there! Safe and secure too. We leave the pass thru to the main coop open 24/7. Putting in a roosting perch this weekend. They're demolishing the small bales [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They are going to be LOVING that this winter!!! I have a full glass door and two windows in my main coop, and it heats up around 10-15 degrees warmer than outdoor temps in there on a sunny day in the winter time (of course I have to use shades in summer time [​IMG])
    Great use of materials!! [​IMG]

10. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    awesome!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by