Our newest chickens

ICB42

Chirping
Aug 22, 2015
We went to our local feed shop and got some baby chicks and I was excited! I think we got some Ameraucana chicks because they have feathers on their feet!. But the guy at the feed store told me they are a week old,but the look younger than that Be prepared for some cuteness!!

This one has a brown stripe down her head! I'm gonna call her fox!

This is Olaf! See the feathers on the feet!

We have two like this and they both have feathers on their feet!

The first one is probably an Ameraucana or more likely EE.
The feather footed ones won't be. They're likely cochin, brahma or possibly faverolle.

Last edited:
we shall see!! They are so cute!! So tiny too... I've never gotten chicks that were this tiny they are usually bigger!!

The guy said they are but the last time we got chickens from there they all got the same size as my other chickens and we eve got our roo from there so I'm not sure I just feel like they aren't a week old

If they're very small to your eye and the person you bought them from said they are bantams - then they're probably bantams.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got them from a feed store, but he never really explained what that means! I know breeds but I couldn't really find a clear answer online what does it mean if they are bantams?

Bantams are a smaller version of their large fowl breed. They should look just like their LF counterpart, only much smaller.

There are true bantams and diminutive bantams.
True bantams have no LF counterpart. Diminutive bantams have a LF counterpart.

Bantams as a general rule are about half the size of the same breed in LF and lay eggs about 2/3 the size.

Thanks!! I don't know if they are true bantams or not. The guy didn't seem To know much about them. Told me they are a week old, but I've been looking at bantams online and the size I have are like 3-4 days old.. So I'm just going to wait and see. We got chicks from them before and they grew up to be full size chickens but they called them Bantams.

I'll explain bantams again.
True bantams don't have a large fowl counterpart. That would be breeds like silkies, sebrights, Japanese bantams, sablepoots, nankins etc.. They only come in little birds (bantams).
Diminutive bantams have a LF counterpart. That means if your birds are Ameraucana, Cochin or Brahma, they couldn't be a true bantam but can be a diminutive bantam because Ameraucanas, Cochins and Brahmas come in both bantam and standard size. Does that make sense now?

https://books.google.com/books?id=P...epage&q=true bantam diminutive bantam&f=false

Back
Top Bottom