Our newly hatched babies.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jlbpooh, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jlbpooh

jlbpooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    3 out of 3 chicks hatched for me. I posted some pictures. The first little guy (PeeWee) was the last to hatch on day 21. The other two yellow ones hatched just over a day early. 2 of the 3 were in the refrigerator before incubating. I wasn't planning on incubating yet, but I forgot an egg in my jacket pocket one night. It didn't end up being fertile though. PeeWee hatched last night, and hadn't absorbed the yolk. He was really weak and then the yolk sack ruptured. We tied off the umbilical cord and then cut it. He was weak to start with but is eating and drinking tonight. We left him in the incubator for a full 24 hours. He is only half the size of the other two even though all 3 eggs were the same size.
    Pee Wee alone [​IMG]
    Pee Wee and Peepers [​IMG]
    PeeWee, Peepers, and Daisy [​IMG]
    PeeWee, Peepers, and Daisy again. [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh my, they are sooo adorable! What breed is peewee?? The other 2 are BO?? Too too cute! Glad the wee one is doing better.

3. jlbpooh

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    They are mixed, with what I am not sure, but the pullets look to be New Hamshire red mixes. Two of them (Pee Wee and Daisy) are from one of my pullets, and the other is from a different one. My roosters are both mixed as well. One looks New Hampshire red and the other is black and white with yellow and some brown, He probably has Barred Rock or barred something in him. I am guessing he is PeeWee's daddy, I am not sure which one would be the other two's daddy. I have Heinz 57 chickens. I also have 5 Buff Orpington, 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte, and 5 Black Australorps (all pullet chicks) that got shipped yesterday that I hopefully will have tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    So cute! I hope they are all doing well today. Love the little green turtle! [​IMG]

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Very cute little guys/gals.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Very cute! And look at you, you ole broody hen you! That's a 100% hatch 3 out of 3! [​IMG]

7. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    awwwww!
    i wish my brooder looked so tidy!

that little guy is very adorable!
    yea chickies!

8. jlbpooh

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    I have two of them lying in my hand right now. We received 5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Black Australorps, and 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes from Ideal yesterday as well. PeeWee just climbs right over the others. He loves being held. He slept in my hand for 1 1/2 hours yesterday. If you ever have one hatch that didn't absorb the yolk, just tie off the umbilical cord and keep the little bugger warm. That is what we did with PeeWee, and he is a little spitfire. I couldn't bear to let something happen to him cosidering that my daughter got to watch him hatch.

A far as the 3 out of 3, I got lucky. It was my first time incubating ever, and had a brand new LG still air. I didn't figure out how to finally get any humidity built up until day 18. I guess the man upstairs was watching over my babies. I know he did with my daughter, she was 16 weeks early, and only 1 1/2 pounds, she is now almost 7, and a spitfire too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Awww how cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by