Our Old Friend "Chief" Passed Away

Capt. Crusoe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
McHenry County, IL
Our old friend "Chief" Passed away in my arms and we are heart broke. Nearly 15 years old and has truly ruled our roost his whole life, taking full ownership and warding off any who dared cross his yard. We noted the last couple of months he was taking mid-day naps - something he had never done. All seemed normal when he came out of the barn until he came up to me and wanted to be held. He had this little dance he would do at our feet if he wanted picked up so I scooped him up and he hunkered down in my arms with his talons wrapping my fingers. He did a little talking in a low cackle and I was stroking him under the chin (beak) when all of a sudden he gripped my fingers tight and then went limp. I attempted to revive him to no avail. He is now buried up on the knoll next to a young turkey we had taken a shine to a couple years back but was killed by wild mink. Chief was truly a wonderful friend and pet that loved to ride in my truck - didn't matter where I was going either - Farm & Fleet, Menards but the bank was his favorite as they would always have a cookie for him. We will sure miss him but we do have some wonderful memories.

1567_introductions.jpg

1567_always_at_my_side.jpg

1567_the_man_his_truck_and_his_rooster.jpg

What an amazing guy... So glad he was with someone who loved him when he passsed... 15 years is an amazing life for a rooster.....

Please tell us more stories about Chief....he sounds like a great partner.

hit.gif
what a long life. you were kind to him, it was only right for him to be with you and not alone. prayers sent for you.
hugs.gif

andrea-

Back
Top Bottom