Our one week old chick is not doing well...help!!

Angelwhee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
We found one of our chicks this morning letting itself get trampled on by the other chicks. When we picked it up we noticed it felt lighter and it would just lay wherever we put it. When I looked closer at it I noticed it had pasty butt. I cleaned it off, gave it some sugar water and isolated it from the other chicks under the light. Is there anything else I should be doing to help it???[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Neosporin or petroleum jelly on vent and removing the little guy from the big brooder into his own small temporary brooder worked very well for us with a week old bantum chick. Also cleaning his rear religiously, which is easier when he's all gooey.

It took a couple days for him to look much better (found him on the edge of his box actually lol) and less than a week till he was back in the big brooder with the rest.

Just be prepared to lose this battle... Sometimes it happens.

Well we lost our little chick this morning :( She seemed to be doing better last night and she no longer had issues pooping but there must have been something else going on. The kids are pretty bummed out. It's hard because you wonder what else you could have done. Bye Daisy. We will miss you!

Back
Top Bottom