Our only predator so far.....11 year old boy

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harleychick, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harleychick

harleychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    My Own Little World
    We had a bonfire last weekend and apparently our friends 11 year old son was kicking at the chickens. [​IMG] My mother caught him and told him to get away from the chickens. The next day one of my favorite black stars was dead in the coop. She was just laying there dead... no blood. She hadn't been acting sick before this. She was only 1 year old. I think he killed her. [​IMG]

This is the first time I have lost a chicken.... it is very sad.

2. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    [​IMG] So sorry about yur loss. Is this friend someone you feel comfortable enough talking to about this? So the boy knows and the behavior can be corrected before he returns?

3. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    OMG, if you know them well enough to have them over for a bonfire then you know them well enough to set fire to his tail end! lol I would be there with the dead hen, and make the brat bury it for you, and then he would clean my coops to pay for the hen. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Really burns me up when people refuse to control their kids. And kids who hurt animals often go on to become serial killers, it seems. They'd better watch that one. [​IMG] They wouldn't want me to get hold of that little brat.

P.S. I was being facetious about the serial killer comment. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    [​IMG] what a little creep! I would tell his mother (if it would do any good) I know lots of kids that age and could not imagine anyone of them doing something as stupid as kicking a little chicken. I agree with making him bury your girl and cleaning your coops! Even though that is not really enough in my opinion. And speckledhen is right, children like that often grow up to be disturbed people.

7. harleychick

harleychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    My Own Little World
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I keep trying to decide whether I should say something to his parents. I didn't actually see him kick her.... but he was definitely kicking at them. I just dont' know what else could have killed her so suddenly when there was no blood or anything.
    I am also shocked that an 11 year old would do this.... maybe a toddler wouldn't no any better, but an 11 year old?! I have a son the same age and he would never try to hurt an animal. It is worrisome.....

Thanks again
    Tammy

8. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I personally would not want him around my chickens at ALL! I would call the parents, and maybe even let themknow he is no longer welcome. Hard to do, I know. WOW. [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] That child would not return to my home. I can't tolerate cruel behavior or cruel people. I would definitely speak to the boy's parent(s) so that they know WHY he is not to return.

10. Tallgirl17

Tallgirl17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    St.Louis area/IL
    So sorry for your loss! [​IMG] I agree with the others, go have a talk to the boy & mother. Make him work his butt off to repay the loss damages. This kid needs to learn that is NOT acceptable behavior & repsect for all living things. He is well old enough to know better in the first place! Boy, if that were my son I'd be handing you the switch after my husband & I got done using it! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by