Our Organic Coyote farm....sigh....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moenmitz, Sep 3, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    My four beautiful, fat, funny, friendly heritage turkeys are no more it would seem. I am so bummed. Just last week I posted about their inclination to defy both clipped wings and tall fences and explore the wooded areas beyond our acres of pasture, and it would seem that was their undoing. Last night, only Henny-Penny was roosting at dusk, but I tried not to worry, too much. After all, they had been late for supper before. This morning, she came alone for breakfast, so we went looking. Way, way, WAAAY beyond the woods, behind the cornfields, we found what was left of Mr. Snood, (not much) our Black Spanish tom. A few plops of turkey poop nearby indicated the gang had likely all been roaming together and were surprised by something fast and ferocious from the cornfield. My money is on a coyote, as it appeared to be a quick grab and devour, and it would have been late afternoon, still quite light out. The other 3 must have scattered into the woods and since it has now been over 24 hours without a sign of them, I am sure they have met similar fates. I am just so sad and am trying to console myself with knowing that my lovely organic turkeys will at least not be contributing to cancer amongst the coyote population....

Yeah, it isn't really working....

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I am so sorry for your loss, I'm sure it was heartbreaking.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Oh, man-- That sux, big time. [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks. Little part of me keeps hoping Waldo, Phineas and Hot Wheels will be standing on the BBQ grill peeking in the window in the morning, like usual, waiting for breakfast. But not the realistic part. [​IMG]

6. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss. Maybe they'll show up.

7. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks so much...unfortunately, they did not. Poor Henny is wandering around the yard calling for them. DH went outside to play the banjo for her...even turkeys appreciate the blues...lol

8. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    I'm sorry,,, [​IMG] Looks like your lone Turkey might be needing a friend soon,,, :aww

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A BIG friend...like a Great Pyrenees or two! [​IMG]

10. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by