Our Pallet/Reclaimed Wood Coop - Progress.

mommabice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 22, 2012
Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
We are building our coop and run from pallets and reclaimed wood. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

This is the first part of our progress...figuring it all out. We had three very long pallets, which we decided to use as the fencing to close off this square section of the yard. The pallet in the back laying down will be the floor of the coop.

My husband sawing some 2x4s. As you can see, one of the pallets was cut down and attached to the privacy fence, the other pallet was not used, and we decided to make the wall of the coop the outside of the fence as well...

This is the end of the framing progress for the weekend. Coop two feet off the ground. Door to get into the run framed out (and the two boards at the bottom of the doorway I will step over to get in). The bottom of the coop area will be covered in chicken wire to close off the run there. The pallet "fence" will get wire as well as the bottom portion of the door area. The side of the coop, between the two horizontal 2x4s (and that whole coop space) will be walled in and get the windows/doors/etc that a coop needs.

The floor and framing. We used peel-and-stick tiles so that we could water-proof the floor and make it easy to clean.

Two walls up. :) Progress! You can sort of see the door hanging out on the right side...we got a used cabinet door from a junk shop.

The nest box, to the left (old head board!)..we will probably put three dividers in it later when we cut out the egg door (I have to borrow the skill saw from my Dad). I know some people just have one long nest box, so we shall see. The chicks are not even two months old yet, so we have time to do that. The roost run the length from the next box to the wall. :)

Here is the finished coop...don't laugh! (The run at the bottom is not done yet or the ladder, but we are keeping them in the coop for a few more days so we will do it this week). We need to figure out how to add a little more overhang to the roof (we bought it and it was cut to the length we needed, but either they cut it wrong or the coop grew...who knows?). ***I just went and bought a new roof. It will go on this week, hopefully we won't get rain. We are going with the good ole tin roof.****

The other end. eventually, I want to add more floor over here and make a shade area for the girls.

Inside the coop...with a couple of our girls peeking around the water container. :) The water and food will eventually hang under the coop, but right now they can't go out side yet, so it's inside.

Total we only spent $150...most of that was on the paint and chicken wire. We only spent $40 in lumber since we had so much from the pallets.
D.gif

Last edited:
I suppose I should also note...we are not building this by any real set of plans...we are flying by the seat of our pants.
roll.png
We just kind of figuring it out as we go and using wood where it fits.

We are going to buy some plywood, and maybe a couple extra 2x4s, but other than that, we should be using only free materials. I am hoping to run across some corrugated metal or plastic for the roof, if not we will have to buy that too.

Don't ya just love multi purpose pallets. I built a silkie coop last year, then expanded it this year, just finished shingling the roof tonight.
Am going to use one section of slats as a roost for my 6 week old pullets. I have a cardboard box in their run, and 3 of them were perched on it, and one of them was taking a nap.
wink.png

So I guess I need to have a roosting bar in their run too. They all like to pile up on the ramp that goes to the coop.

All of mine love to roost. I have a large branch in the brooder (you can see in the pic) and they all sleep on it, side by side. So cute. They even started to tuck their head under their wing. :)

loving it so far!!! fantastic!! me and my hubby also went the wing it approach bc i can read blueprints about as well as i can read german. LOL. love my fellow pallet coopers!

loving it so far!!! fantastic!! me and my hubby also went the wing it approach bc i can read blueprints about as well as i can read german. LOL. love my fellow pallet coopers!

Same here. We will have to tweak a few things as we spot the problems (like the lack of roof overhang...whoops).

Back
Top Bottom