1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our peeps are here! Pics are in our blog

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by therealshari, Apr 25, 2007.

1. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    Well, our first batch of 35 assorted peeps have arrived, and are now happily housed in their coop (cardboard brooder installed).

It's been over 40 years since I last raised chickens. Oh, have the memories come flooding back!

We have Black Astrolorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, White Rock, Golden Lace Wyandottes, and Silver Lace Wyandottes. Since we ordered pullets and cockerels specifically in addition to straight run, we'll have meat and eggs by fall.

I know, a lot of you could never eat what you raise, but we do have a small farm, and our goal is to raise about 75% of what we eat. That will take us 3 years to get to that point... but it does keep things in perspective.

When we picked these little guys and gals up at the PO (they called us at 8:20 AM), the Post Mistress volunteered she had never seen such a healthy, active shipment. We'll be notifying Welp Hatchery, as they have been wonderful throughout the order process.

We were originally going to order from MacMurray (too much for shipping) and we couldn't get exactly what we wanted. We looked at Ideal and then made a trip to Cedar City (45 miles). While at Cal-Ranch (one of the farm stores) we found they ordered their chicks from Welp and had catalogs on hand.

I had originally rejected Welp as I thought they only sold the Rock Cornish Cross... sure glad I took a second look. The average cost of our little chicks was just over $2.00 including the Marek's vaccination. We were able to order pullets and cockerels and straight run when it made sense.

Ok, will have pics up on our blog very shortly... click on the website link under my pic.

Shari Thomas
    Beryl UT

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Congrats on your new babies!!![​IMG]

3. therealshari

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    Thanks Critter!

Ok, the internet issues are solved.

I've updated my "Shari's Gone Country" blog with pics of the process of getting our peeps settled in.

The first day we checked them very frequently (as in every half hour) during the day. I checked them at sunset and then got up at 1 AM to check them and add a little heat by lowering the lamp a bit. I checked them again at 6 AM and they were doing great.

Since, I've had to add both food and water and we've had tons of enjoyment at the chicken coop. Even our five dogs got to visit (on leash only).

Today the wind is blowing hard from the northeast. There's quite a lot of noise around and their just "doing their thing" scurrying about the brooder, eating, drinking, exploring, and even trying to sleep... that is, when the other chicks don't run over them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. therealshari

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    I just realized I've not posted here to let y'all know our blog has been updated... you'll laugh and cry with us as we develop our little place in the middle of nowhere, Beryl UT.

Visit "Shari's Gone Country".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by