1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our Peking duck laid a double yolk egg!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LuckyDucksInn, Dec 6, 2016.

1. LuckyDucksInn

LuckyDucksInn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2016
    So excited to have cracked open a larger than normal duck egg from our Peking Vicki...found it to be a double yolk...sooo excited!!! I feel like Caroline Engels from Little House on the Prairie hehe [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice (but I feel a bit bad for the girl that laid it [​IMG])! My ducks aren't laying right now...sure wish they would. Enjoy those delicious-looking eggs!

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Once my poor khaki campbell laid a MONSTER double yolker.... I couldnt believe the size, and they lay big eggs already!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  4. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    They were delicious! Do you know if laying double yolk eggs is a common thing? It was such a delightful surprise [​IMG]

5. FoodFreedomNow

It's not uncommon in new layers, but may subside after they've been laying for a while. I had a triple yolk in a chicken egg once...it was pretty awesome. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    A triple [​IMG]How cool is that!! If the double yolk was fertilized and incubated would there have been 2 babies in the one egg??

7. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    WOW! The picture above compares her regular size egg to the double yolker...soo fun to experience the surprise and then enjoy the tasty meal!!

8. FoodFreedomNow

Yes, there could potentially be two chicks or ducklings in a fertilized double-yolker; people have reported that they've hatched them, but it doesn't seem like it's usually successful.

What are you making with your duck eggs? I have to live vicariously, since I'm getting none. :lau

9. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    You should get KC's...then you'll get lots of eggs![​IMG]

10. FoodFreedomNow

I am diversifying...I have the Indian Runner mama and her 9 Pekin mix ducklings now, too (and Pekin dad). Mom's just too busy raising her babies, who are now bigger than her :eek:, to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by