Our polish hen is sitting on all the eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gertsgal, Jun 30, 2010.

1. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Hi friends, I actually have 2 questions.... I thought that polish hens had the "broody" trait bred out of them is there any problem with letting her sit on the eggs? Also, I do not have any roosters so the last time any of my girls were around a rooster would have been at the end of April. Can the eggs still be fertile? Thanks much for any advice/info.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    You are lucky to have a polish go broody. But the longest I have heard a hen's eggs will stay fertile is about a month I believe. How long has see been setting? I think you should candle.

3. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Hi, Thanks for answering. I'm worried about her. she's just sitting in the corner(with the eggs under her).She looks like she's sleeping. Usually she talks to me when I poke my head in the coop but today nothing(she was fine first thing this morning.This is just really different behavior.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I find my broodies talk alot less to others but talk alot more to themselves. [​IMG] When they come off the nest to eat/drink/poop/etc or are disturbed they will make thoses soft crooning noises as if to remind themselves that they're okay. It's also the noise a broody will make to her chicks. I agree that you should consider yourself VERY lucky to have a broody Polish. I've never had one but always wanted one of them to adopt the trait.

A broody is a broody. You really can't tell if they're a bad mom just by which breed chooses to brood. It's how they handle their eggs and chicks that matters. The eggs probably aren't fertile. If you find someone with fertile eggs, just switch them at night and she'll do the hard work for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by