Our power outage. Do you think my eggs will be ok?

sewchick

One Handy Chick
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Maine
Our power went out at Midnight it's now 5:30am and we are just getting the generator up and running. Do you think they will be ok? It was only 25.1 c in the incubator when it started. I think that is around 77 f. I am sure they were not cold all that 5 hours. I had them covered with a heavy quilt. We are having a wicked wind storm. They probably wont get the power up for another day or so. Thank goodness for the generator. If worse come to worse I will go to the jetport and plug them in or somewhere. I am very upset that they might not continue developing. They have only been in there for a week. I have duck, chicken and quail eggs. I have not had any sleep so I am a little loopy.

1pm I was wrong the power is still out. Hubby is hard of hearing and said yes when I asked. But no the power is not on just the generator. Thank goodness for that. So I am confident now that they will be warm unless that breaks down too. Sighs...it's always something.

Last edited:
Our power went out at Midnight it's now 5:30am and we are just getting the generator up and running. Do you think they will be ok? It was only 25.1 c in the incubator when it started. I think that is around 77 f. I am sure they were not cold all that 5 hours. I had them covered with a heavy quilt. We are having a wicked wind storm. They probably wont get the power up for another day or so. Thank goodness for the generator. If worse come to worse I will go to the jetport and plug them in or somewhere. I am very upset that they might not continue developing. They have only been in there for a week. I have duck, chicken and quail eggs. I have not had any sleep so I am a little loopy.
I knew you were from New England when I read Wicked Storm... I think they will be okay as long as you get it back on. Hope the weather gets better for you guys. We have relatives in Maine so we have heard all about the weather you guys have been having.

Join the November Hatch A Long and keep us updated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/november-hatch-a-long.1336098/#post-21839837

I think it will be ok.

My power went out to last night, but it came back on at around 2am. Hopefully yours came back on/comes back on soon!

Hello, fellow Mainer! Had the power outage last night, also, but only for 2hrs. Is it me or all the worst Maine storms happen in October?

I believe that your eggs will be perfectly fine- though I'd keep an eye out considering (at least in my area) the wind is still roaring. Best of wishes on the hatch!

You will probably be fine. What you are measuring is air temperature. That egg is pretty dense and it takes a lot longer for the center to cool down enough to cause a problem. Like others I've had issues and still got great hatches. You can try candling down the road but I would not do anything dramatic unless I was real sure.

Thank you very much. The power is back on. We go months without any outages then whenever I put eggs in my incubator the power goes out. Every single time. Not as long as this time though. Thank you for all for your kind helpful replies. I feel a lot better now. Keeping fingers crossed. The wind is still howling. They even called off some of the schools.

Hello, fellow Mainer! Had the power outage last night, also, but only for 2hrs. Is it me or all the worst Maine storms happen in October?

I believe that your eggs will be perfectly fine- though I'd keep an eye out considering (at least in my area) the wind is still roaring. Best of wishes on the hatch!
It's still howling here at Noon. Hopefully it will die down soon. At least is sunny and the power is back for now.

Back
Top Bottom