Our predators are dealt with natures way....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JimnJanet, Mar 5, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    for some reason, nothin wants to come around and mess with our girls.

[​IMG]

It's all about letting the dogs be DOGS. They clearly know that I lead this pack and they in turn respect anything and everything that is mine. It honestly works. They will not harm what is mine nor will they allow anything/one else to do so.

2. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Great pic! Love the Rotts, who is the other guy/girl? Nothing messes with my girls when the Dobes are outside. Still worried about hawks though as the girls are free range.

3. living2ride

living2ride Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Anybody know if eagles will mess with chickens? I never even thought about it before until last week when a MASSIVE bald eagle was sitting up on the road about a mile from my house. And when my car approached he flew up and over my car and that monster's wingspan spread WAY out beyond my windshield. I think he could carry off my whole flock if he wanted to! It was amazing!

4. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Just checked the Audobon book about Bald Eagles, it states that they are fish eaters and often steal fish from smaller hawks. Must have been a fantastic sight to see one so close.

5. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:That other feller, would be Deacon.
    [​IMG]
    He is a 16 month old Belgian sheppard, that's why he thinks our girsl are his lol. He is actually learning to "corall" the birds and lead them back into thier coop when i want them there. He belongs to our youngest son Mike who is currently serving in S.Korea till neaxt Nov.
    One o' them, "dad, i joined the ARMY today, would you take care of Deacon while i'm gone? " things.
    The rotties, Carmell and Mack are older about 7 er so , and i rescued both about 5 years ago.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Deacon looks like a friendly guy - but I wouldn't visit you with those rotties...... :eek:

7. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:It absolutely was! I was on the phone with my dh at the time and I was screaming and yelling. He didn't know what was going on! [​IMG] I kept yelling, "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! HE'S HUGE!" He thought Godzilla was after me.

8. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Look at that face! What gorgeous dogs!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I love your doggies!!!

They're gorgeous!

10. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:You know what they say about first impressions Shelly. In truth, The Rotties would do everything they could to git in yer lap and befriend ya.(unless you meant me or mine harm) Deacon, would tear into ya in heartbeat. But he's leanring.
    As i originaly said tho. My dogs are DOGS, therefore they have no desire to harm anyone that comes near my "pack" unless you have bad intentions towards me or mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by