Our protection dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by zook, Nov 15, 2013.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    We have a Affenpinscher dog. Rare in North America. His name is Munk. He weighs in at 14 lbs. But although terrier background is a very devoted dog and also protector of our ducks, turkeys, rabbits, cats and chickens and us of course. His biggest predator he tackled was a 20+ lb raccoon. That is one never visiting our yard again. Those parquet tiles its laying on are 6" so its 2 feet long. Munk is standing at the same floor. Small but brave as you could never imagine the ferocity at which he goes after predators. I'm sure other have great bragging stories. Sometimes dogs get a bad rap but there are good ones. Right folks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like a good dog. Some people are lucky to have them, and you are one of them [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That little dog killed that coon?!?! Wow!

I had a coworker who had an Affenpinscher, cool little dogs they are.

4. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yup. He is fearless in his protection. They are so cool dogs. Known as the monkey terrier as they can walk around on their back legs. Munk walked once about 15ft upright like a person. But a cuddle bug when no duty calls.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Watch out for the raccoon killing habit. A relative has a similar sized rat terrier that takes on even adult raccoons and frequently. Same dog gets dinged up a lot as it goes after the larger critter even when dog does not have the advantage. Dog earns bragging rights but also looks like a chew toy for a lion pride.

6. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Amazingly this fight not a single scratch on him!!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's kind of like free ranging chickens....they'll probably be alright, but there is a risk.

8. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Every guardian livestock dog regardless of size takes the risk of injuries during any confrontation. It's part of life for them and owners accept that I think.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I like conflicts to be a slam dunk victory for dog. The "sporting" part can get real expensive quickly and problems I dislike are the occasional infections. Also your situation is like a single full sized LGD taking on a adult black bear or a larger wolf one on one, where dog can often prevail but will have a shortened productive life. If predator being repelled or killed is large, then multiple LGD's are in order and should be at numbers so outcome is heavily in LGDs' favor.

10. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Not a scratch. .. that's amazing! What fatal injuries did the coon sustain?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by