Our pullet Mango is now MAN-go!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FisherMOM, Jun 12, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Our chick MANGO has been a total "oops" from the get go.
    First we learn Mango is NOT a Golden Sex Link chick, but a Cornish Rock.
    Now today, Mango tried to crow. No wonder my rooster wants to shred him! (yes, they are separated) I heard this awful noise in the garage and thought Mango had had a heart attack. My daughter was ;laughing and said Mango was trying to crow. It was a very loud and horrible sound, and I got to see him do it too. He looked proud, nonetheless! [​IMG]

I need to weigh Mango... he is a big bird. Heavier than my rooster. And a lot friendlier too.

[​IMG]

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Are you sure he's not a Cornish X, he looks like mine.

3. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    well, let's put it this way.. he is a Cornish SOMETHING.
    so could be X. Whatever it is.. he isnt what we thought.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] you reminded me of my own sad tale!!! HA HA HA,
    I had this black chick last year, when "she" sat down on the ground, reminded me of this brood hen squat. Well, broody was one of my faves, eagerly looking for the day when we had chicks...curley feathers, black with the irri colors, muff, beautiful bird!
    I sat watching my beautiful pullet when SHE began to CROW!
    oy, needless to say, Broody and Tyson went to live life on a farm where they DONT eat meat...I have not a clue, didnt ask questions other then the phone call I had with the woman was "will you murder chickens" and she said "no, we save our animals, they are pets", so beyond me at that moment, they went to a nice home- 2 roos.
    So please don't take it personally when you look at your prize mango...its natures way of getting us attached!
    Buy sexed birds...heck of a lot easier! [​IMG]

5. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    that was just it.. we thought we bought sexed chickens.
    Even paid extra for that.
    Mango was supposed to be a Golden Sex Link Pullet.

Never buy chickens from a Tractor Supply store. This is what I learned. [​IMG]

ah. Mango the Roo.. we do love him, he is a sweetie.
    I have already told my daughter that seeing he is a cornish, he
    will probably not live much longer. We try to limit his food.. but he is an eating machine!

The thing that has me concerned, is that the RIR pullet and Mango act like they are going to spar some times. I actually saw Mango assume the fighting rooster stance.. fluffed up neck feathers and all. Will he do that with a hen, or could our beloved RIR Rose be a Roo too?

6. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well Cornish Xs do not live long lives like 'regular' chickens but they can live happy healthy ones.
    If you plan on keeping him as a member of your flock, try to get him on layer feed as soon as you can. It helps them build their bones with its added calcium and with its lower protein it slows the growth a bit. I have only 4 now but they are wonderful birds with lots of character. Our oldest are about 7 months now and are still going good. They are eating machines but if you suppliment their food with veggies/fruit it helps them fill up and not chunk up. Mine LOVE LOVE LOVE watermelon!
    Here's Bob (can you tell I'm partial) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Thanks Hooligan!

I saw the BOB avatar in another post and wondered if he was a Cornish X. Awesome looking bird. Now as far as the feed goes... my pullets should not eat the layer feed should they? They are almost 7 weeks old.

Fruits and veggies, can do. He doesn't care for watermelon, we tried that already. The ducks like it though!

8. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    by the way .. Mango is my avatar.. Mango at 3 weeks old ( if I remember correctly)

9. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well Mango is def. a Cornish X then. LoL
    And no, the girls shouldn't get layer feed yet...wait til they are about 20 wks.
    If my guys (and gal) hadn't been fed a higher protein food with little calcium I know they would be much healthier now...even with the amt. they eat! (They were factory farm rescues.)
    If you ever need any advice on anything for him, just send me a PM or email. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  10. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Thanks Hooligan... I will set Mango in a cage by himself for 15 minutes or so with some layer feed tomorrow. any clue how much? He is just shy of 7 weeks old.

I will get some tomorrow.
    I have a hen and was thinking of buying some for her anyways.
    Now if I can feed to to 2 birds, it's worth it.

Now to figure out what fruits and veggies MANgo (Mangozilla) will eat. hmm.. wonder if he would like mangos? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by