Our pup is chewing us out of house and home....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hammerj, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Hammerj

Hammerj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Does anyone have advice how to get the pup to stop chewing absolutely everything she comes in contact with....including our house??

She is a beautiful, sweet 6 mo. old pyrenese. Lately she has started chewing on absolutely anything she can reach, and some things I'm not sure how she got to. We have several toys around for her to chew on, but she prefers the corner of the house logs, the chinking, the porch furniture, the screens, etc....She has chewed glass, metal, wood and cloth....nothing is safe!

My last dog (lab) was 15 when he died this spring and I do not remember puppy stage being this bad, thought it was a long time ago. My husband has about had it with her!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Puppy needs crate training. Read about it. It's really good.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I know how you feel! My new Border collie pup has decided the wood dining table and chairs need the corners trimmed. I put cayenne pepper on all previously "tasted" edges. But really seems like you need to get a pen for her or your whole house will be red [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do you have lots of chewies? Both our dogs Roxy, whos now 7 and Sadie our Golden REtriever whos now 20 months, never touched anything besides their chew toys. Have lots of them all over the house. We used raw bones, nylabones, etc. No rawhides. Never had a problem with them chewing on anything.

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a Great Pyrenees. She is right over a year old. Great Pyrenees are protectors and believe everything they see is theirs. This means they will roam great lengths if it is possible since they see it as theirs. My point is this provides a natural purpose and stimulation. Something yours may not be getting. Yours needs to be entertained.
    Now I am not saying all the chewing is going to stop with this. Mine likes to chew but toys and such sure help out. GOOD LUCK!! That can be a toughy.

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:I agree whole-heartedly. It's not cruel. It may make you sad to do it, but it's better than getting rid of the pup.

7. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    My three dogs never chewed as pups. There are raw fed and I always made sure to give them plenty of good meaty bones to chew on as pups. Big raw pork bones are great, it takes them a while to get though.

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Does she chew when you are home or when you are out? Crating her, when you are out is an extremely good suggestion. Make the crate "hers" and a fun place for her to be. Once she is older this behavior should stop and you may not need the crate. But for now, she is in the chewing stage and like you said, nothing is safe. They also make a spray that you can spray on things to deter chewing. I had to use this on my dining room table legs where my puppy thought was a good idea to chew. Also a very loud "NO!" if you catch her chewing.

9. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:I agree whole-heartedly. It's not cruel. It may make you sad to do it, but it's better than getting rid of the pup.

X3

I have an Akita and she was the same way. Nothing was safe. We started crate training her and within a week you could see the difference and after 2 weeks and never chewed on anything but toys but you have to keep up with it for like 6-12 months depending on how your dog does.

10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My German Shepherds are crate trained and are 3 years old. They still sleep in their crates at night and are crated when we go away. They see there crates as a safe spot and willingly go there on their own ~ even for naps with the door open. Make sure to give your dog a treat each time she goes into the crate and make it a fun safe place for her. Try not to use it for punishment.

A good chew toy is a KONG ~ we stuff them with our dogs regular kibble mixed with a little peanut butter then freeze it. I also "force" a dog biscuit into it too making a little extra work for the dog to get it out. I keep a few in the freezer all the time ~ they wash up well in the dishwasher too.

PLEASE ~ make sure that you remove all collars and tags when crating your dog. It is not uncommon for a dog to strangle to death if they get their collar caught in the crate wire and panic!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by