Our Rabbit Hutch turned Chicken Coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happyhens120, Aug 8, 2011.

1. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    My growing chicken population made me want to design a new chicken coop. The dog kennel that we had them in wasn't ideal, and I wanted them to have access to fresh grass every day. We can't let them run around the yard, as they visit the neighbor and leave her "presents" in the driveway. So, since we don't have a fence around our .6 acres, we came up with a solution to our problem.

I started with a rabbit hutch that we were using for our rabbits (bought from a sale for $1!), and made some adjustments:

I started by ripping out the wire floor, and putting chicken wire around the bottom posts. Then I built a square frame along the bottom.

[​IMG]

Then I added a solid floor with a hole for a ramp, and opening doors on each side:

[​IMG]

Next I built a run under and extending from the coop, and lined it with plastic poultry netting:

[​IMG]

My husband had to help with the roof, because I always seem to cut my hands to bits when I try to cut tin roofing. The ramp is on now.

[​IMG]

Next I painted the interior and added a nesting box on the back. Pink's a good color for the ladies! [​IMG] Leftover paint from my daughter's bedroom...

[​IMG]

Because we needed to move the coop daily, my husband made two handles on the front to lift the coop/run up, and added wheels on the back. The wheels are basically a little bicycle cut apart (again from a sale for $1!), and fastened to the back. They are flat against the ground so we don't have to lift the coop up very far to tractor it around the yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need a couple coats of paint, but does the trick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ladies are happily moved in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Duke thinks he's big stuff (as usual)...

[​IMG]

So now... we need to name this "creation"... What are your ideas?

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Coop Deville?

Tahat is awesome! Great use of unusual items to create a cluck of art! Um....do you travel to build? [​IMG]

3. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:Thanks! I was actually thinking Coop DeVille! lol. The ladies are happy with it so far. I'm going to have to close it up a bit more in winter, though.

Here's a question... do I let Mr. Duke in there with the ladies? Will he hurt anything being in there?

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    great job! What a cute tractor [​IMG]

5. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    I LOVE that you painted the inside pink! I was thinking about painting the inside of mine purple.

6. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome Work! and great use of recycled materials [​IMG]
    Thanks for posting progress pics

7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Something to do with the bicycle...

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Now that is creative!! and I love the pink.
    [​IMG]

Tour de Chooks

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Schwinn Hen Pen

10. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010