our recycled coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amber.lyda, Jun 26, 2011.

1. amber.lyda

amber.lyda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Well a few months ago I had the itch to get some chickens. I love our girls and as with most people I wish I had built our coop bigger. I am now planning to fence off our side yard so they have a safer place to scratch while im away. Right now they free range in the back yard. We dont have any cats in our neighborhood and we back up to a busy street plus we have tons of coverage so Im not too worried about predators..I still count the girls often during the day. Im am very proud of my run because it is built from 90% recycled wood and siding from a previous shed, plus I refused to buy any tools, and I had no true blue prints. I couldnt justify spending money for eggs...plus im a hippie at heart and I wanted to build a recycled green garden. Here are my pics during the process (btw all the paint is from previous projects or the mis-paint aisle at walmart) Since im not sure how the pics will post I will say that I started out with 4 week old chick, 2 buffs and 2 americaunas. Over the months I got a little impatient and bought a black sex link and she gave us 2 eggs in 2 days. We are still waiting for her to be accepted by the rest of the "flock" since right now (3 days) she has been an outcast...but atleast she is allowed to roost with the other girls

[​IMG]

the old shed on the side yard that had to come down...thank you craigslist! someone came by and tore it down for free for Art...I love AUSTIN

[​IMG]
    they left me the siding and the posts. woo-hoo

[​IMG]
    starting the framing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i couldnt wait; its spring and the chick were around

[​IMG]
    Still working on the coop while the chicks are living in the garage with a heater

[​IMG]
    hahhaa that green almost went into our kitchen. Our coop with roosting bar and ladder

[​IMG]
    All done with nest box on the back (it was going to be a pop out nest box...but after many failed attempts and lots of swearing, I thought it was best to go flush) I put huge rocks and logs to deter predators and have 2 D hooks on every door with 6 in of rat cloth on the top for ventilation)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have since changed this feeder. I switched it out for 3 in PVC and ditched the holes and cut it through and glued it. It now works perfectly and saves space

[​IMG]
    our orriginal 4 girls

[​IMG]

I couldnt wait another 3 months for eggs so we bought a black sex link

[​IMG]
    she laid the next day!

[​IMG]
    it took 9 months but we have an egg for breakfast (did i mention my wonderful garden...its the first year so its not a high yeild at all...but I am on the way to a wonderful green garden)

Check out my blog http://lydafamilyandmore.blogspot.com/

2. amber.lyda

Jun 26, 2011
    I forgot to add everything behind the chain link is our garden. The new run will be from the house to the other fence (24ft). It will keep them safer and they will still free range in the backyard when I am home. I LOVE IT

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Great job, I love everything about it! I love the rocks around the run, so the dogs don't dig! Your right, I begged hubby to make the coop and run a little bigger while he was building it. The coop remains the same, but he did add on to the run by 10-12 square feet, which needed it upon buying more then expected.

4. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    That is a great job. I love Austin too. And Austin is so chicken friendly.[​IMG]

5. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    Great job! I love it! I know what you mean about waiting for eggs. I would be tempted to do the same and buy one fully grown hen, but I wonder how hard it was to add her to the existing flock?

6. amber.lyda

Jun 26, 2011
    they are slowly accepting her. the only hen (our top hen Dora, the white americauna...who Im still thinking she might be a he) is still picking on her. They let her roost with them last night and they are letting her walk around them ad eat with them. From everything I have heard it will take a few weeks and then she will be on of the girls

7. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Very nice! I understand the waiting on eggs as well. We got ours at 3 weeks old, and they won't start laying for another 2-3 months. I'm thinking when we add on we'll get full grown hens; not sure about integrating them though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by