Our Rhode Island Red hatched our Pekin Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by nanastella, Mar 14, 2013.

1. nanastella

nanastella New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    Our Chicken started brooding and we do not have a Rooster so we let her nest on our Pekin Duck eggs and thought we would see what happened...well 28 plus days we have a duckling! She is still sitting on 3 eggs and taking care of the baby duckling. Mother Nature is amazing!

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Congrats! How sweet a scene that must be! I would love to see a picture of that!

3. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I had this silky cross hatch out a clutch of ducklings. It was so cute to watch.
    [​IMG]

4. admzfmly6

admzfmly6 New Egg

May 23, 2013
    I have a road island red that I believe is broody ? she just lost he flock to a hawk and is suddenly gotten broody. we have now taken the proper measures for the safety of our birds but now she wont leave her nest I thought she might be egg bound but is not she started to sit on the duck eggs that where on our pekin's nest ( she will make a nest but wont sit on them ) so I was thinking that maybe she wanted to rebuild he flock with babies ? I am so new to this she is just 18months herself and this is our first flock I put a few eggs on our hens nest (she got driven form the ducks nest ) and she rolled them right under her, and she seem quite happy but I don't know what I need to do for her and after the ducks come ? we got day old ducks last spring and took care of them that way but will our hen taken care of them after they hatch ( if they do) or did I take them away from her ? I want to do this right so we can avoid and mishaps please help -mother of a broody chicken :)

5. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

If she's still sitting on the eggs, yes she will hatch and raise them. You don't need to do too much for a broody, just make sure she has food and water. She will get off the nest once a day to eat, drink, dust bathe and poop.
    Sorry for the late reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by