Our roo flew the coop.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FowlFriend, May 31, 2010.

1. FowlFriend

FowlFriend Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    [​IMG]

I put him in the play pen and before I could get the top on, he took off like a shot! I had never seen him fly that high or far before. We all looked in the field for over an hour and couldn't find him. My kids are very upset and I cried, too. [​IMG]

This is the poor fella who got pecked on the head last week. His head wound was all healed, though.

Any chance of him hearing the hens coo and coming back?

2. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    what kind of quail is he?

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Mine got out and didn't go far at all. I think there is a good chance he will come back. Especially for his girls!!
    good luck and don't give up hope yet!!

4. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    Thanks. He's a Coturnix quail. We just went back out to the field and looked again, no luck. We'll leave the girls outside tonight (in their pen) and hope he returns!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    thats why i pinion mine [​IMG]

Sorry about the misfortune. If he hears the girls he will likely come back if physically able. If you have any cats or dogs i suggest confining them until he is apprehended or given up on, as when he comes back he will loiter around the pen and if not recaptured and replaced will quickly be predator bait.

Hope all works out well for you.

6. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    I'm aware that he is now predator bait. [​IMG]

I'm not into pinioning because these birds are pets and I don't want to hurt them. However, I now realize I need to perhaps clip their wings. Does anyone know if this hurts the bird? Do the feathers grow back, requiring more clipping later?

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    One doesn't clip wings, they clip feathers. If you've never done it, PLEASE watch a tutorial or have someone show you the first time. Clipping anything but feathers, or clipping a blood feather could be harmful or fatal.

They will molt out like other feathers, and regrow periodically, and will need to be done again in time.

Quote:

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    He will most like return, last week for of my bobwhites got away, I let the backdoor of my house open and 2 of them came back and the other 2 they got captured by the neighbors, I offer hear it in the morning singing. They usually come back either for the girls or the feed, don't lose hope just yet.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:
    FATAL FROM CLIPPING A BLOOD FEATHER? QUAIL? NOT LIKELY.... THIS MAY WELL BE TRUE FOR OTHER SPECES OF BIRD, BUT NOT ANY QUAIL THAT I KNOW OF. IF THAT WAS THE CASE MY PINIONING WOULD CERTAINLY KILL THEM AS IT IS A DISTAL AMPUTATION OF THE WING TIP.

10. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    "Clipping wings" is a common term for clipping the flight feathers of pet birds. My neighbor clips her parakeet and cockatiel bird's flight feathers, I'll ask her to do my quail. We did find a video on this site of a woman clipping a Coturnix quail's flight feathers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by