Our roo, Moe, is stunning, but we have NO idea what he is.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CoulterMiniFarm, Sep 3, 2014.

1. CoulterMiniFarm

CoulterMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Crockett, VA
    This is Moe. We got him when he was just a few days old, and was told he was an ameraucana hen. HA! He's stunning in person (the pics don't do him justice), and we'd just like to know what breed/cross breed he might be.

He's got feathered feet, and a bit of a mohawk thing happening (hence the name). His black feathers shine like polished metal in the sunlight, and he is VERY curious and cautious. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

James

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    I see some silkie but there are others on here who will be able to tell you with more certainty. He's gorgeous!

1 person likes this.
  3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    He looks like some kind of silkie cross... But I'm new to all this, so don't take my word for it!

I'm looking forward to what the eggsperts have to say! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. CoulterMiniFarm

Sep 3, 2014
    Crockett, VA
    Could be part silkie, I guess. I hadn't thought of Silkie because of their size. I know that silkies are smaller, and Moe is definitely not small. He's 5 months old and nearly as big as our red sex link cockerel. His growth rate actually seems to be out-pacing the red sex link slightly (the red is about a week older). Plus, I don't think the lady I got him from had any silkies...at least I didn't see any. But is was a very rural area with a lot of free roaming chickens. Maybe he's part silkie mixed with something that's much bigger?

5. CoulterMiniFarm

Sep 3, 2014
    Crockett, VA
    Thank you! He is a beautiful boy. Our daughter thinks he's the greatest.

6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If he's bigger as you say, I'm wondering if he may not be a mottled cochin cross? Life is like a hatching egg... You never know what you're gonna get!

Either way, handsome guy! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd guess a Silkie/Cochin cross maybe. This would explain the size (Cochins are large), the feathered feet (both have feathered feet), and the slight crest (Silkies have a crest). But, this guess could be wrong!

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like either a Cochin/Silkie cross or possibly a Blue Langshan/Silkie cross. Both Langshans and Cochins are huge birds, so they could have contributed their size to the crest of a Silkie.

1 person likes this.
  9. CoulterMiniFarm

Sep 3, 2014
    Crockett, VA
    I think you may be on to something! YAY!! Moe's facial structure looks very similar to a Langshan, his comb and body structure seem to be a good fit for what a Langshan/Silkie cross might be, and the pics of Croad and Blue Langshan chicks look exactly like Moe when we got him. I even found some picks on yahoo.com that look a LOT like him (minus the crest). Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by