Our roos are in the freezer!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by therealshari, Aug 26, 2007.

1. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    This afternoon, Cindy and I dispatched 11 roos with the assistance of a neighbor boy. He sure got an "edumacation"!

We used him as our "runner". You know... run for this, run for that. Really, so the birds were as clean and fresh as possible, he took each of the dressed birds to the kitchen individually.

Cindy did the capture. I handled the hatchet, and started the skinning. We used the "skin, and save just the best pieces" for most of the birds.

With our very limited setup, I didn't really want to chance extra contamination with evisceration. Cindy did take time to do one "gut job" since she could see the liver. That pretty much cured her of wanting to do all of them.

I skinned and dressed the very last bird for the neighbor kid to take home as his "pay". You should have seen the look on his face when we told him the last bird was his... go talk to it. Then, after Cindy caught it from the small cage, we had him hold it for the hatchet and the bleeding, and then hang it up to get skinned.

The whole process of butchering 11 birds took us just over 4 hours. The wind was blowing about 20 mph at time, and we were expecting thunderstorms.

Now we can say, "That's done for a year!"

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Good job Sheri,,,now until next year! But think of all those nice roasted chickens you will be eating soon!

3. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    Oh yeah, we're already drooling, just waiting for Mom to "do her magic" on them.

Of course, Mom is most excited about the potential eggs... 3 to 4 week wait yet. We told her the "egg money" is all hers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by