Our rooster crows at night - why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katieann, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Katieann

Katieann New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    Hello, we are new to having chickens. Just got them last July. We are learning as we go but I'm wondering why our rooster who will be 1 year in May crows starting in the evening and off and on through out the night. I'm ready to get rid of him because I'm worried that he's bothering our neighbors.

Can anyone help me with this?

Katie

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    first of all [​IMG]

ok is the rooster being kept awake? light in the coop or shining in the window, cars driving by, some other noise in the coop? I would ask the neighbors if it bothers them.

3. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    My Rooster crows if something bothers him at night.......a light comes on down the road....a loud car passes. something moves outside the coop he doesn't like. It can be many things...Do you keep a light on in the coop? I keep it really dark at night but in the winter I use a red heat light. I also have a radio on low to keep them from hearing every little noise. Good luck...Maybe the neighbors do not hear him.....[​IMG]

Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Not sure... But, don't feel alone. We have several roosters and they'll all crow at 2am or around there. Don't know what triggers them. It's like they're having some kinda competion...

5. Katieann

Katieann New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks for such quick replies. I did a search and read some other posts too. I guess I should have done that first! Well, since I hear the rooster - my hubby rarely does - he's only 38 but I think he's loosing his hearing! [​IMG] I'm pretty sure 2 of our neighbors hear him. I think we'll look for a new home for him cause I don't want to be a pest.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I have a few roos that crow all different times of the night, usually around 3 or 4 am.

7. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] My roosters crow some at night but I think that darn train whistle at the bottom of the mountain does it!

8. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    my roo crowed all night long. He was in the garage with a black tarp over him. He had to go, he just got louder and louder. I could hear him with earplugs in and my bedroom isn't near the garage.

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Guess why I sitting here earlier then usual?
    My roo has been at it since 3 this morning .
    but we dont have neighbors close by to worry about.
    He seems to know when I am up and shuts up.LOL
    Welcome BYC .

10. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    He would have to be a Special Bird to keep around....I'd eat him just to have some peace at 4 AM....but 5 AM I wouldn't mind a little shout out....enjoy the music

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by