Our Rooster Hank

Timot99

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
Hi, first time here.

Attached is a picture of our rooster, Hank. I want to know what breed he is. Sometime ago I saw a picture of a Leghorn that looked exactly like Hank so thats what we thought he was. You can see that he is suscpetible to frost bite as we had to remove him from the coop this winter as his comb suffered some damage. Have added heat to the coop since.

I saw some pictures of Delaware and Light Sussex Roosters that look similar but those breeds both have red lobes.

Is Hank a Leghorn?

61407_roosterhank.jpg

He's not a Leghorn...
What color is his legs?

If there White then he might be a Sussex cross
If there Yellow then he might be a Columbian (Plymouth Rock) cross

Chris

Last edited:
I am a novice but I know that not all leghorns are white.

I didn't think Hank is a Sussex or a Columbian (Plymouth Rock) because he has white lobes and those breeds typically have dark or red lobes but if you are saying because he may be a cross and that is why he might have white lobes then perhaps.

I thought he may be Leghorn because:

1) He has white lobes
2)His skin is yellow
3) His comb is susceptible to frostbite (like a Leghorn)
4) I did see a few pictures on the Internet of Leghorns that looked exactly like Hank (although those pictures could have been mislabeled or the person posting them was wrong)

Anyway in not getting a lot of feedback I assume that Chris's reply was pretty good as nobody has anything more to add.

Tim

welcome-byc.gif
any roosters comb can get frostbite. It got the tips on one of my cochins. Columbian is a color pattern, it shows up in lots of breeds, Cochin, lt Brahma , Sussex, Delaware ect. I know a guy with a Columbian silkie. your roo looks like he has a heavier build than a leghorn roo. they are built like greyhounds very sleek.

No offense, it is likely a barnyard mutt. The smutty buff comes from a red/buff hen and the Colombian from the rooster. Look at Mt. Healthy Hatchery's Colombian Rock Cross to see what I mean. You may be able to get this by putting a Delaware rooster over a RIR or NH hen.

Back
Top Bottom