Our Rooster has become a terror-- suggestions please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by in2chickens, Jul 7, 2010.

1. in2chickens

in2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I had raised him with the hens, he is about 1 year and 3 months. He has been getting more aggresive over time. We let all of them free range all of the time.
    He has me so scared that I will not go to the hen house without a broom for protection.
    Well today was it, my hubby got attacked, the Rooster got him so good we had to go to urgent care and get him some stiches in his leg.
    How do I get rid of him?
    Will some one want him?
    How do we catch him without getting hurt?
    What will happen with the hens? ---I have another rooster in the area that I can hear, that provocs my rooster to call, Will my hens go to that other rooster?
    This is our first flock, which we have enjoyed, but we just cannot deal with this rooster anymore. It is a shame he is so handsome.

2. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i have only had one rooster and he is absolutely gentlemanly BUT i read on here a lot "there is no reason ever to keep a bad rooster". i would not feel bad about taking his aggressive traits out of the gene pool! as to the other questions i am sure someone will know...i'm curious as to whether hens really do go to nearby roos if they are free-ranging and lose their roo.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Catch him at night while he is roosting.

You could send him to freezer camp, or directly to the crock pot.

You could craig's list him.

You could take him trap shooting... use him instead of traps.

So many things you could do.

4. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    [​IMG] WOW... I guess I am lucky I have an evil SILKIE roo. He attacks ankles constantly but unless I am barefoot or sockless, he doesn't do any damage. I also have a Barred Rock hen who will NOT tolerate him attacking humans or dogs when she is nearby and attacks him, so that helps. But, lately I have resorted to showing him the bottom of my shoe long enough to tire him out enough that I can pick him up and carry him around like a baby doll for about 1/2 hour and talk softly too him (he actually starts to fall asleep [​IMG]) Then, I put him back outside with his girlfriends, where, I am sure he tells them all about the giant monster he just fought off to protect them... [​IMG]

But, if I had a rooster that actually attacks to the point of needing stitches, I think (just between you and me, don't tell DH), he would mysteriously disappear. [​IMG]

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:If you hubby is not a vegetarian he would probably enjoy some fresh chicken.

If you go that route, remember to age/cure the bird in the fridge for at least 4 days. The bird would then be good for stew, soup, chicken and dumplings, or pull and chop the meat with a little BBQ for sandwiches.

Matt

6. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:I'd get rid of him def. chicken and dumplings? I understand if that isn't an option though, re-homing an agressive roo might be hard, I use a dip net to catch them, and I've never heard of a hen traveling for a roo... [​IMG] but who knows?

7. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I gues I was lucky. about three months ago my 1 year old RIR started getting mean. We caught him and removered his spurs and now he is nice. He will sometimes still follow you around but nice.

8. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    We culled ours. He was mean, and would attack me, even when they were free ranging. He actually ran for me one day when my back was turned. We got tired of it, as he also got my two sons. I have read on here that a mean roo never changes... get rid of him.

9. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Been there, done that. I'd cull him. Do not pass him off to some other unfortunate person.

10. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Mean Roosters are delicious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by