Our Rooster stoped crowing????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MadamePoulette, Sep 13, 2011.

1. MadamePoulette

MadamePoulette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Our Mille Fleur rooster has completely stopped crowing. He is young, around 18-20 weeks, but had been crowing for probably 3 weeks or so. He was clearly the leader of the pack, perching and loudly expressing himself but for the last week has been quiet and blends in with the rest. When we enter the coop he makes some noise but, the best way to describe it, is that he lost his voice. He sounds what I would sound like if I had laryngitis. Is this a know problem with medication for it or has he simply just lost his crow?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Is he otherwise healthy? None of my roosters have started crowing until they were about 7 months old. Maybe he got a false start?

3. MadamePoulette

MadamePoulette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    As far as I know he`s fine. Never showed us anything different. It could be a false start, I didn't really know that could happen. Hopefully its nothing more then that. His crowing over those 3 weeks became more and more of a distinctive crow, and then no more. Thanks for your input, we will no doubt keep an eye on him and hopefully it comes back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by