Our Scary! Broody Story

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JaciesCoop, Oct 16, 2016.

1. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    We have 6 buff orp hens and a buff roo and a mix breed banty. She is always broody and took over two of the buff eggs. Only one hatched and she was so proud. When the little one was about 5 days old hubby was out in the back and noticed that Lil' Bit (our mix banty) and the baby were out in the main run. We had a fence and post divider that we have used for 10 years and it failed. They got through it. Before Ty could get in the pen one of the hens had grabbed the baby and taken off with her. She/he is so tiny that I'm sure the hen thought it was a mouse. Ty ran in and she dropped her but when he brought her in the house she was all but dead. Eyes closed and no movement. I checked her for dislocated joints or broken bones. Felt none. So for 4 hours I wrapped her up. Kept her head up and massaged her to keep her awake. I knew by then it was shock that was killing her. So we got a small brooder box and the heat light and put her in the bedroom. By this time she was moving around a little and drank a little water. An hour later she started SCREAMING a very loud cheep!! I went in and she was standing and walking and was totally ******!! I knew she wanted her Mama! So we got the huge breeder box and set it up and got Mama. Mama immediately took over and tucked her in. They stayed in the back bedroom all night. The next day Ty spend most of the day building A WALL! He did a beautiful job. It is solid, tight and GREAT and removes easily when not needed. Thank you my dear Tyler [​IMG]

. Mama and baby went back out in the afternoon and so far so good. She is now fully feathered and growing like a weed So yes. MIRACLES DO HAPPEN! Oh and we have named her/him LUCKY! So keep your fingers crossed that she/he stays okay. And I keep calling her a her because I want a little girl. LOL!

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Thank you for sharing ... I do love a happy ending and look forward to hearing how Lucky grows up.

[​IMG] For a girl also.

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Great story. I'm happy for all of you.

4. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Update on Lucky: She is getting so big. And bossy like her/his Mom So far so good but keep those fingers crossed

1 person likes this.
  5. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Lucky is reaching the teen stage. Jumping up on the high roost and doing good so far. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by