Our Second Egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CupOJoe42, Dec 17, 2011.

1. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    My 15 girls and 1 boy share the brooder right now, waiting for our coop to be finished. We got our first egg yesterday (I put it in the nest box in the cage with my D'Anver pair) and I just checked and there was another egg in the brooder (I put it in the empty sideways cat litter box with shavings.) They are only 19 weeks old (20 on Monday.) It looks the same as the first - small (length of my pinky) and peach in color. So pretty and perfect!

How do I tell who laid the egg??? Do I have to wait 3 days to tell if it's fertilized? Do I need to switch everyone over to layer food and Oyster shell? They are getting grower pellets right now.

Doin' the happy dance!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    congrats, it's so exciting to get those first eggs. My favorite part of cooking, collecting the eggs!

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    At 19 weeks old - definitely start them on layer feed. Congrats on the egg. If you've got 16 19-week old chickens in a brooder, it sure must be a BIG one! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Oops - forgot to answer your other question - how to tell which one laid the egg. Here's how I did it. Last summer when my pullets first started laying, it drove me crazy not to know which one laid which egg. Out of 7 pullets, I had dark brown, light brown, white, green, and cream-colored eggs. So I just pulled up a chair next to the coop/nest boxes and settled in for a long wait. I sat out there a couple hours and saw egg-laying up close and personal. [​IMG] At the end of 2 hours, I knew exactly which pullet laid which egg. Now my family teases me because I just have to look at an egg to know which hen laid it. Good luck!

5. CupOJoe42

Apr 11, 2011
    The brooder is 6 ft x 3 1/2 ft (crowded) and the coop is on my BYC Page (not finished yet!) I'm afraid they are going to step on the eggs and break them.

6. CupOJoe42

Apr 11, 2011
    Will the Layer feed be okay for the other chickens to eat if they are not yet laying? I just opened a new bag of Grower pellets!!! I hate to waste it! Can I mix the two until the Grower feed is gone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by