Our shed conversion project, pics posted. Would love some advice!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Noymira, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Hey everyone!

(I've added a diagram in post #13 of the potential run)

I braved the snow to get back to my sheds and get a closer look and some pictures. We've been having temps in the 30's and lots of melting; finally starting to feel like spring and the sap is running. I'm anxious to get working on my coop! We bought my childhood home on 2.5 acres from my parents, they built a new house next door, so my father built all these buildings.

I would love some advice and input while we are still in the planning/gathering stages. I would love to scrounge up as much as possible, we just need to be done by June. My dad's willing to help with the construction.

Here's the shed we are going to convert. I think it's 10' x 10' or 12' X 12'.
    (There is an attached open shed you can see in the left background, we are leaving that alone for storage of our lawn tractor and all our gardening supplies/ outdoor furniture storage needs.)
    [​IMG]

Here is the side and back of that shed, we want to use the covered area and build a run off of this side of the shed. I would also like to put a window or two in this E/SE facing wall. There's some lumber tucked against that back wall that's mine to use! How would you build a run off this side? How big? What dimensions? I'd love to do this with minimal materials but I want our chickens (8 to start, possible up to 24 eventually) to have plenty of room. I was thinking on using tin to cover some of the run along the side of the shed, or for building a wind/snow block for the back side of the covered portion, or made to be a moveable wind block? I think we want to put the chicken door on this side as well out into the run. (I also need to remove some broken branches and trim up that three on the right, any chicken related uses for the branches?)
    [​IMG]

My brother's turkey pen which I've been cleared to scrap; I'm excited about the tin roofing and the chicken wire for reinforcing my run. (I know not to use the chicken wire by itself for the chickens) Some of the upper lumber might be usable as well, but I think the base is pretty rotten, I've got to get in there and tear it apart we we get more of a thaw.
    [​IMG]

Some supplies from my brother's turkey pen that I've been cleared to borrow for my setup!
    [​IMG]

The inside of the shed, we need to close in the spaces around the top and add some insulation. I'm thinking about putting in a dropped ceiling on one side, maybe adding storage above it? The flooring my father reused from a deck he tore out on a job. How high do you put your roosts? How high do you put your nesting boxes? I think we might use that garage door and take the panels apart for covering the walls once the insulation goes in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! -Amanda

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Boy, I think you are going to have a tremendous coop! I would love to follow your progress as your convert that wonderful old shed!! You mentioned using the space above the rafters as storage, which I think is a good idea, as it will reduce the amount of air space and help keep it warmer (since heat rises...) The barrier will help keep the heat in the coop area.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    You can store that dome top trunk at my house if you want to.

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Songster

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks like its going to be a great coop! I would probably paint the outside to help it last longer. As for the run you will probably want a pretty big one if you plan on eventually having 24 chooks, 10 square feet per bird is the usual rule, though you can cheat a little- but cramped birds are not happy birds and they can pick up some bad behavious if they are too packed together. Storage up top is a great idea, can always use more storage space! [​IMG] I can't wait to see more pictures as you get started transforming it into a coop!

5. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    You can convert that into an awesome coop..awesome

Xoxox

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller

Quote:x2 lol I was going to say the same thing.... FWIW Domed top trunks were used by the upper class because nothing could be stacked on top of them. Steam ship days....

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I didn't know that! Good information on the domed top trunks.

8. Noymira

Noymira Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Thanks! I'm excited as well, I'll be learning as I go with some guidance from my dad, so this will be a very educational experience! I'll post lots of pics along the way! My husband is supportive, but completely clueless about animals and construction, so this is my baby so to speak! I think I will create storage above the rafters, it seems like a good place to store extra bedding and supplies. Should I close it off somehow? Do I have to worry about the chickens flying/hopping up there?

9. Noymira

Noymira Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    perchie.girl :

Quote:x2 lol I was going to say the same thing.... FWIW Domed top trunks were used by the upper class because nothing could be stacked on top of them. Steam ship days....

I didn't know that either, very interesting! My mom has a bit of a thing for collecting old trunks, I'm not sure where she got that one. It will be relocating into the house shortly, I seem to have inherited that one since my dad says she already has enough of them at the new house. [​IMG]

10. Momagain1

Momagain1 Songster

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Well, from what I've read; chickens will roost as high as they can get...
    so the storage above may not be the best idea...they'll roost and poo on it all ick...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: