Our silkie, she's not a she, is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TeamV8, Dec 1, 2012.

1. TeamV8

TeamV8 New Egg

Jun 7, 2012
    I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but we're so new to chickens that I thought I'd ask. We have 2 silkies. The black one has always been bigger than the yellow one although they hatched at the same time, middle of June. Now I guess I know why! So if she's really a he, any suggestions on what to do with it? I guess I'm not opposed to baby chicks but I know nothing about hatching. She/he is sometimes aggressive towards our little yellow girl and does crow from time to time but, I can't just have one silkie and I tried putting her in with the other (older) chicks and the Leghorns pecked at her relentlessly :( Even putting Vicks on her didn't help. I can't have one chick alone!

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    its a roo

if the yellow is a silkie hen she will hatch them for you [​IMG]

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Beautiful silkie! Looks like a rooster!

4. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    That's a rooster alright. He's very pretty to. [​IMG] Are you selling him? Maybe you can get a pal for your little yellow silkie.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats 100% cockerel

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes that's a boy. You can keep him if you want to raise some silkie chicks. He will wing dance for the hen and boss her around...that is what roos do. He will guard her too and help her get to the coop before dark. Those silkie girls love a boy around to help them out.

Just let her set on her eggs (best to let her get a bit older and not set on her first small pullet eggs I have read) and she will raise them. It takes 21 days, but let them sit there for 3 additional days if none hatch by day 21. You can put a flashlight up to the egg after a while to see if the chick is moving or if it is clear (no baby). This is called candling. If they smell bad throw them out.

Make sure the chick has food and water (not layer feed- chick starter). Keep the mama protected if she is being picked on by others, and that's it. The roo will probably be sweet to her if he is the only other chicken in the pen. Having a hen rear the chicks is the easiest thing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by