Our Silkies Just Had Their THIRD Baby Tonight! *01/01/10 MORE pics*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kysilkies, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    This one pipped this morning and I just couldn't wait any longer so I took my tweezers and peeled her out!

She's either a 1/2 black / 1/2 partridge or black x2, the highlights are having me lean towards the black/partridge...I'll post more as she gets up and the others hatch!

[​IMG]

2 more to go today and one due in 2 days in there!...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Sooo sweet. I want babies tooooooo! I have chick fever. [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yay! Silkie babies!
    You, of course, have to post fluffy pictures. [​IMG]

(I'd say "How cute", but you know they just aren't all that cute right out of the shell... [​IMG] )

4. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    YAY! I'm so excited mine go on lock down tonight. I have a suspicion that they are all going to be Buff Orpingtons [​IMG].

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Because you didn't want to wait? That looks like quite a bit of blood. I hope it makes it okay.

If you are interested in advice ... I would suggest you let them hatch on their own. They can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatch. Sometimes even longer!

Good luck!

6. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Here is an updated picture of the first one, since she has a white beard we're calling her Santa!

[​IMG]

I couldn't wait any longer, grabbed my tweezers and opened another, this one is going to be Raya!

[​IMG]

1 more to go!

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I couldn't wait any longer, grabbed my tweezers and opened another,

If they are ready to hatch, there should be NO blood. They need to absorb the blood.

Really, you should let them alone to hatch.

Good luck.​

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'll second the too much blood. Their bodies are very very tiny, to lose that much blood is alot! Let them hatch on their own.

9. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We've lost so many, we may panic but our hatch ratio, letting them go on their own, has been abysmal(10-20%), when I open them, 100%...We've had so many die in their shells waiting, we would rather open and nurse them if needed and so far haven't had any problems...Only our first 2 unzipped themselves, and believe me, I hate doing it but would rather take the risk than wait and lose more...I understand on the blood and it looks worse than it was, it's one drop or so that got spread as my finger moved around it...The shell and membranes came off smooth and clean, we leave it attached until they kick off the 'butt plate'...I just opened 3 duck eggs 2 weeks ago after waiting 30 days, 2 fully developed dead in shell, 1 is a living breathing dream!

10. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I was having a similar problem with my first couple hatches. I started misting the eggs with warm water, after I open the bator to turn them. My hatch rate went way up. Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by