Our Silver Laced Wyndotte pattern is backwards+ Gender help w/ pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PDXRN, Oct 24, 2009.

1. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Anyone seen this in SLW's? WE just rescued a couple of little girls today and were told one was a Buff Orp. and the other is a SLW. Now she for the most part looks like a SLW pullet however the pattern on her breast is backwards. With black feathers and white lace instead of White with black lace. Also anyone that is willing to chime in on sex would be welcomed as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    pullets.

3. killions123

killions123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Ashland OH
    My SLW pullet looked just like that. She came from Mejer. I would say pullets

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I can't help regarding the backwards pattern on the SLW, but both are definitely pullets! [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

How old are they? It looks more like roo with that much red in the comb. He's marked as many hatchery birds are. Most times their lacing leaves a lot to be desired. I will say tho he has much nicer body type than most hatchery wyandottes.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    they are 14-16 weeks old. The comb is actually half pale and half red. First time I have seen that.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Besides the comb that makes me think roo is the streakiness of the white on his back. Generally the pullets have more defined lacing on their backs while the roos are streaky.

8. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm with Katy, I think you have a rooster. And your BO is a pullet.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yeah- the body says hen- but those legs just scream roo!
    The SLW is still young though- the lacing might improve after a molt. I know my SLW girl looks 10 times better at 1 1/2 years old than she did at 6 months.

10. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I sure hope it's not a Roo we already have one Handsome SLW roo and I am not inclined to have two. WE will just have to wait and see. Looks a lot different thaan my SLW roo did at the same age but who knows. Anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by