Our six new chicks are Growing So Fast

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katz5617, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chirping

Jul 21, 2014
    This is our first time raising chicks and the six are growing so fast. We are constantly working with our dog - if I am not at the run he completely ignores them. It is only if I am out there that he even pays them any attention now. I'm pretty sure they will never be able to free range the yard. He is just too "excited" around them, but we are working at it. That said we think that Molly may be Melvin and she/he is the one chose by my youngest grandson to name and call his own. He is also the grandchild that has fallen in love with the chicks and he helps me let them out each morning from the coop and put them back in each evening. He loves to come over and just watch and play with them - so we made a trip back over the the farm and purchased a second barred rock that looks pretty much the same - this way if we have to make the switch a few weeks down the road, we hope to convince him that his Molly is still with us. We also bought a Cochin chick while we were there, so our flock of six has turned into 8. They all seem to be thriving and growing. We'd done a bit of research before getting the chicks, but since bringing them home I have learned quite a bit that I didn't know before coming to this site. There is so much more to this than what I remember from my grandmother's raising chicks when I was a girl.

2. N F C

N F C coffee up kids! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! That's great that your grandson is taking such an interest in chickens. I think being exposed to animals and caring for them teaches kids a lot. Have fun with your birds!

3. ryferre

ryferre In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Raising chickens can be a lot of fun. I always had chickens growing up, my wife never did. The other day she was out playing with the chicks and I think she finally caught the bug (six years after we were married).... So I guess everything has its season!

Welcome to chicken raising!

4. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Hello and welcome to BYC. We, much like you have hens that are the property of our grandchildren and they named them as well. It is a very special thing to have a young one as you do, take such an interest in the birds. Little helpers are a wonderful gift, and to be well taken care of. I applaud your resourceful tactic to make sure you have a hen. That is very smart, and comes from caring/loving adults. Very nice indeed.

Chickens do seem to double in size every week or so. A unique opportunity to teach and show the youngsters. A lesson that may stay with them in life.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

5. jdleston

jdleston In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    I just got mine 4 weeks ago and cannot believe how big they have gotten! From little puff balls to gangly teenagers. :)

I am trying to ease my dogs into being comfortable with them too. I feel so bad now because I go outside for a half hour to let the chickies out to worm-hunt and the dogs just sit at the door whining. I tried taking them out on leashes the other day and they just ended up whining outside. If you learn any magic trics, let me know. I wish I had super well trained dogs, but they are adult rescues and sorta a mess.

Enjoy you baby birdies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: