Our solution for non-frozen nipple waterer jars. Pics*

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LauraG, Nov 9, 2010.

1. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    We have been using the nipple waterers on pails and jars since I got the chicks.

With winter here already in Upstate, NY we devised a way to keep their water from freezing.

I am struggling with not using a heating lamp in my coop, which i origionally thought I would, thus not worry about freezing nipple waterers. I am going to try to go without a heat lamp for the winter. I am thinking it will be harder on me than it will be on them. They have an insulated coop and are hearty breeds.

oh the guilt I felt last night as it was snowing and sleeting as I was sitting toasty in front of my wood stove......anyways....

I have 7 hens. I'm using a Gallon jar with 3 push in nipples.

My dear Jim built this for them [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is a box mounted on the wall. Inside the box, a circular cutout with a 20 watt bulb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I seat the water jar in the circular cutout so that the nipples hang down: sorry this picture isnt the greatest
    [​IMG]

And the bulb is plugged into a thermocube which is thermostatically controlled to go on at about 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees. It doesnt cost hardly anything to run:

[​IMG]

This was simple for Jim to make with scrap wood we had hanging around.

The bottle doesnt even get hot, nowheres near enough to melt anything, just enough to keep it from freezing. Plus, they have a little bitty nightlight on the cold nights ......

Just thought I would share for anyone looking for any ideas.

Blessings,
    Laura

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Cool! But not too cold [​IMG]

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I think that is a great idea! I really like the idea of not worring about a heat lamp in the coop. I use the cookie tin bases for my waters but sooner or later I will be going to a nipple system as soon as I can work it out.

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I am going to try the Aquarium Heater in the bucket method. That and a heated water bowl...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by