Our "Special" Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aidenbaby, Apr 21, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I thought I'd create a thread where we could discuss our chicks that are living life in an adjusted way and hopefully help others in similar situations with advice on making things more "hen"di-capable.

Personally, I have a D'Uccle chick with a twisted leg and curled toes that does all right by hisself/herself. I made a little perch for them and her favorite spot is on the ends that are wider. She can sit with the others and feel a part of the group. Other than that, we haven't needed to make any more adjustments to the brooder. As for the coop, I'm planning a small ramp inside to the chicken door and a ramp (possibly with sides) for outside. When I finish the coop, I'll post some pics. Oh, and while I was planning on clipping everyone else's wings, I may just leave hers alone.

2. 60ACRES

60ACRES Stepped in what??

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Yes, I have a special chick. Actually there are 4 in 1.

They are all connected by the tip of the beak. All the bottom beaks can move independantly. So they can feed and drink. The problem is finding a low profile feeder and waterer.

I have a picture of them eating a worm posted below.

[​IMG]

Ok, ok. Probably insensitive of me huh? sorry.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    [​IMG] I thought it was funny! At first, I was wondering how it was possible. I'm having a bit of a slow start to my day. LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I have a 3 year old cochin named Edna, as in "Special Edna". She had one leg injured as a chick. When I went to the farm 3 years ago to buy new chicks, I was not planning on getting a cochin. But the farmer could tell I was a softy (how do they always recognize this?) and said he would give me the handicapped cochin for free. What could I say?

Edna is an amazing chicken. She hops around on her left leg exclusively and has no use of her right leg. This past winter her one good leg or foot seemed to be sore as she wasn't moving around as well as usual. We have a great vet who doesn't charge much to see the chickens, Dr. Galvin in Novato, CA, he is a saint. Edna has had a few cortisone shots in the leg, and laser therapy for pain (!!!we do it ourselves in the Dr.s office for no fee, as I said the vet is a saint). We have also given her metacam, an antiiflammatory for birds, on occasion. She is much better now and we now only give her a fish oil tablet every day as a natural anti inflammatory. We now believe that the cold weather aggravates whatever is bothering her in her leg - maybe arthritis? With the warm weather she shows no signs of pain at all.

We have had to keep our coop door low to the ground, she can take a few steps up, but a long ramp or tall jump >3" would be too high for her.

I know we do way more for our girls than most, but they are our pets and we love them. Luckily we have a vet who charges us a pittance for seeing our girls, so for now we can afford it.

Edna has taught us so much about life. Busy chattery chickens are so much like people as we go through life busy busy busy doing things that seem so important in the moment, but most of them really aren't; meanwhile we tend to miss the really iimportant things. Since Edna can't move around as well as the others, she often finds a cozy, shady place where she can bathe, eat bugs, get some sunshine, and look around meditatively, while the other girls are busy chasing eachother from the feeder, going here, going there, doing chicken chores (?). Edna is a wonderful teacher!

I am a bit worried about what the next winter will bring for Edna if she gets severe arthritis and can't move around-- another lesson, which we for better or worse learn from all of our dear, short-lived pets -- enjoy our short time here on Earth!

Colleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by