1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

our special Girl.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wegotchickens2, Oct 28, 2008.

1. wegotchickens2

wegotchickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    We have 7 young laying hens; among them is an ameraucana, with a non functional leg, had since hatching... it sticks out to the front-side diagonally.. our concern with the cold coming on is that since she can't tuck it under her, it will be exposed to the cold. She can't roost with the other girls, so she sits alone on the floor at night. It's her first winter, and it gets to -20F here in winter at times.. they have a nice coop, but even with the heat lamp, it'll be cold in there sometimes. Other than putting down a little scrap of carpet for her to sit on, any ideas? thanks. We are new to this site, nice to meet all of you. T & J[​IMG]

2. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    Welcome T & J -- BYC is a great place with lots of information and great people. I'm sure someone will be along with some ideas for you. [​IMG]

We're in Hayden Lake and looking forward to starting a flock next spring. Again, welcome!!

Michele.

3. wegotchickens2

wegotchickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    Hi Michelle!

Thanks for the intro! yes, we get a chuckle reading some of the posts here.. what fun, and very helpful in researching all matters relating to foul. Good to have someone in the 'neighbourhood' so soon on here! Our Girls were brought home on April 19th, 2008, were day old chicks. We are 7 for 7, no losses! And that is with 2 dogs here, and a coop that backs up to 26 acres with all sorts of critters!(have seen bear poop under the fruit trees!) We'll see what winter brings! Hope your winter is great down there, and hope your future flock is a happy and healthy bunch! Tom & Joey

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I have a year old showgirl rooster with a similar leg problem. He did fine through last winter. Can you maybe make the bedding deeper where your hen normally sleeps? Something she can nest down in deeper to keep her leg more protected? maybe?

5. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    i'm with verthandi....can you make her a special area where she has deep bedding? do oyu think then the other girls may even join her, making more warmth? Just wondering, how cold is too cold to have them out in the coop? maybe try a forum search, I know I have seen people ask that question here before. -20F sounds awfully cold. ~ Kim

6. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    Welcome ~wegotchickens2~!!!
    [​IMG]

Glad to see another Idahoan on here !!! ~ We are down south of you, in Idaho Falls.

Again, [​IMG]
    ~Red

7. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

[​IMG]

8. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Just wanted to say from another Idaho person! [​IMG]

9. Try using a perch that is very low to the ground inside an enclosure like a small dog kennel. You can put a small light source to keep the enclosure heated. I put my silkies "to bed" every night. They like to SIT in the corners of the barn and I have to pick them up and carry them to the metal stalls in the barn. This way the do not get eaten at night becuase the varmits can not get into the metal mesh stalls. We have put plywood down inside the stalls so little claws can not grab a head a chew on it. Better yet, get a bunch of silkies and watch your chick nestle down with them at night. I have a rooster (german spangle) that does this most every night. He is such a turd.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
  10. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I also have an ameraucana chick that was hatched like that. I tried the bandaid to strenthen the leg but it kept coming off. She is almost three months old and gets around pretty good with hopping on her one good leg. There are four others with her that gather together to keep her warm. We also have a heat lamp for them to get under if they want to. My SO says we should put her down that it would be the humane thing to do but, as long as she is eating and drinking and can get around and is not suffering I think we should just keep an eye on her to make sure she is comfortable. Good luck and [​IMG]. You are in good hands here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by