Our "Special" Pullet

HaleMoa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
3rd World America, Hawaii
kind of a random question, but has anyone ever had a "special" pullet???

i've been watching my birds for the past week after moving them out into their run, and been noticing one hen thats not like the rest. at first i thought she was sick or maybe the lower one on the pecking order. but it doesn't seem to be anything like that. i began to realize she was just kind of "different". slower. more laid back. a little bit sweeter temperament. not crazy frantic a.d.d. like the rest of her siblings. almost like she doesn't really notice what else is going on around her, just does her thing.

i pointed it out to my friend, and he laughed at me. but at that very second, a blade of grass poked her on the side of her head, and she slowly turned to look at it wonderingly, as if thinking "oh...is this what they call grass?" and then bit it slowly. since then we call her "the special one."

anyway, just wondering if she's all right, even if she's not like all the other kids.

Last edited:
I have an Americauna that is like that, very calm, very laid back. Moves at her own pace. She is good with chicks, keeps an eye on them.

Quote:
THERES THAT DARN SONG AGAIN.... "One of these things is not like the other..... One of these things just doesn't belong..."

barnie.gif

This would be my 'special pullet'....Robyn.

Pic_30Sep162008.jpg

She's a barnyard mix and came to us with a bad wound to her chest from something attacking her (unknown by the previous owners) but has completely recovered. She is a real sweetheart, but a little ummm, different. She seems to have a spacial problem, she misses things she tries to bite at and gets chased by all my other big chickens. So she lives in the juvenile pen, where she is safe and happy. She never spazzes out like the others and is never noisy or mean. She even comes to you when you call her. She quickly became our favorite chicken.

Last edited:
Quote:
THERES THAT DARN SONG AGAIN.... "One of these things is not like the other..... One of these things just doesn't belong..."

barnie.gif

Oh thanks. You had to do that didn't you? Now it's in my head!

Hi HaleMoa,
Yes I have a special needs chicken. Do a search here on BYC for "special needs" and I think you'll see lots of us do.
My chicken seemed just a bit slow at first, then we realized she has a vision problem. I gave her special care and she's all grown up now. Yesterday she laid her first egg, made me kinda sad. :|
That hen may just turn out to be your favorite. Good luck!

I have three, not because they are handicapped chickens, but because of the circumstances they came from and their demeanor. they are so slow to develop their chicken behaviors, and SO picked on by the others. I believe they are numbers 10, 11, and 12 in the pecking order. Or, possibly 12, 12, and 12. They are by far, my favorites. they seem so clueless, but so sweet. I love them.

Back
Top Bottom