Our Speckled Sussex Hen hates my husband!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by witczakchicks, Mar 4, 2017.

1. witczakchicks

witczakchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Oregon
    So, one of our 4 hens is a Speckled Sussex named Nina. Nina is my 12 year ols sons hen ans he can do anything with her. He pets her and carries her around. I am also able to do just about anything with Nina. My husband on the otherhand, she attacks! He can't think of anything he could have done to upset her aside from moving her off of the nest last fall when she was broody and he wanted to collect eggs. She literally attacks his shoes and pant legs when he enters the coop enclosure. He often takes special treats to the hens and he is always kind to them. He can scoop up the others and pet them but for some reason Nina seems to hate him. What can we do to change her behavior?[​IMG]

2. witczakchicks

Apr 26, 2012
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. witczakchicks

Apr 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Last summer they were buddies![​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Wow! That is really strange - I the always thought Sussex to be a pretty docile breed and you said this hen is except with your husband. I wonder if she sees him as a threat or maybe it's jealousy? [​IMG]I suppose he could catch her and carry her under his arm a few times to show her that his is in charge and/or is not a threat? As an odd behavior you might post the the question in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying
    Also, if you like to chat with some poultry neighbors, find the OR thread in this link and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC - hope your question get an answer! [​IMG]

5. witczakchicks

Apr 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Thank you for the ideas! I'll check out those links :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I know this sounds totally wacky but, I wonder if she recognizes him by his clothes or shoes etc. Like if he wore something entirely different, maybe she wouldn't know it was him.

If he didn't speak. [​IMG]

My sister had a dog that disliked me intensely. I was the one that had to bathe her, trim her, cut her nails, do ears, anals glands etc. BUT, when my sister(and her family) came over for dinner at holidays, I would be dressed up (not in dog grooming grubbies). The first thing her dog would do upon seeing me dressed up was to run over, jump up at me and wag her tail. I don't know if she was dumb enough to think I was someone new or if she was smart enough to know I wouldn't groom her in nice clothes.

1 person likes this.
  7. witczakchicks

Apr 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I'll have him try that :) He has his feelings hurt over this whole thing. Lol!

8. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good idea from redsoxs to have your DH to pick up Nina and carry her around to show her who's the dominant one. Sometimes animals just like to see how far they can push things and if he doesn't step up to being in charge, then she's "won" and the bad behavior will continue.

She is a pretty girl, SS are one of my favorite breeds. Hope she learns to behave herself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by