Our Swing Set Coop! (PICS) still working on it!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DoubleBarrelChick, Sep 20, 2011.

1. DoubleBarrelChick

DoubleBarrelChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Buckeye, AZ
    So we have a very small backyard in an HOA community so we wanted to make a coop that would work and take up minimal amounts of room! SO after a lot of thought it hit us like a brick. Our kids have a swing set that has an underside that was always infested with spiders and the kids never played in, also it had a bench area on the outside that they never used! So the coop idea was born. Its not complete all the way, we are still working on it. But I was so proud of it I had to share our progress! We still need to finish the inside nest boxes and perches. Also need to finish the run area but our girls wont be laying anytime soon so we have time [​IMG].

Before: What we had to work with!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what we have done so far: Just to move the chicks in!

We made a latch door on the back side. We will be putting nest boxes on the inside of the door so we just lift it up and there are the eggs [​IMG]
    You can also so the start of the outside run we made out of the bench area! There will be a big door for cleaning!
    [​IMG]

The door into coop area. We have it all closed off to the run for now because all the chicks are small still and need the heat lamp at night!
    [​IMG]

These are our chicks 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte's 1 Road Island Red:
    We hope the RIR is a hen and at least one of the SLW is a hen!
    [​IMG]

Our two sexed Delaware Pullets 6 weeks old:
    There is two one is laying down!
    [​IMG]

We hope to get 4 to 5 hens out of all them we already have a home for all roos and extra hens!

This is my favorite girl I hope it turns out to be a hen!
    [​IMG]
    The one who looks like shes ready to take me down lol (fingers crossed!)
    [​IMG]

Hope you guys like it. I will post more pictures when we are done! [​IMG]

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Your coop ROCKS! What a great idea - and your chicks are adorable!
    Nicely done -

3. DoubleBarrelChick

Sep 19, 2011
    Buckeye, AZ
    Quote:Thank you we are loving it. So exited to have them!

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Super idea! [​IMG] We also have an outdoor jungle gym I've thought about converting. Our 8yr old hasn't used it at all this summer... But given it's current location, we'd have to move it out front where the other coops is before I'd really do it. Trying to get all our girls on the OTHER side of our fence since they free-range it all day. Right now, they're up around the house. Plus, we're already in the process of building a 10x10 coop out of a shed kit from Home Depot. We're just converting that to suit our needs.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    We have one of those or I should say similar. What a fantastic idea ok [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    Love the coop and the chicks are looking great.

7. DoubleBarrelChick

Sep 19, 2011
    Buckeye, AZ
    Quote:Thanks Gretchen! Can't wait till they get older and we get to see what we have!

8. turtlewomyn

turtlewomyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I thought about doing this with DD's swingset, but I don't think she would let me (even though she never plays on it). Can your kids still use the rest of the swingset?

9. birdmomma

birdmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Loveland, OH
    do yourself and the chicks a favor though, and change the chicken wire to hardware cloth - that won't keep out the predators.... Great idea though!!![​IMG]

10. DoubleBarrelChick

Sep 19, 2011
    Buckeye, AZ
    Quote:Yes the rest of the swingset they still use. Slide and swings. They think it is so cool that the they get to share it with the chickens lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by