Our three other EE's hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Candy442, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Candy442

Candy442 Crowing Premium Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Williamston, MI
    Here are the other three EE's:

[​IMG]

From top, white/beige is "Peep"
    next is the mystery EE, we think is a Roo "Twotone"
    next down is "Hawkie"
    and last in line is "Bratty" all were from the EE bin.

Now the Red productions we call the "Reds" Hens? they are all 17 weeks old

[​IMG]

In the back is "Little Wing"
    On the front right is "Diggie"
    the left front is "Peckie"

and the last "Red" is the head hen and this is "Lizzy" in the foreground (With Little Wing in the back ground)

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with your assessment on the EEs - I that that one is a roo - but very handsome! Your other birds are fine looking as well!

3. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    [​IMG]

The rest of your hens are "Production Reds" or you can called them "Red Sexlinks"

4. Candy442

Apr 2, 2013
    Williamston, MI

Thanks for the input Whittni and Redsoxs! You can tell I am a newb. First time chicken owner and thought we were getting all hens of course! The store said they were anyway but we live in the country and so far the EE Roo has not cackled, crowed or make anything but a nice "peep peep" noise! He is very timid but that is usual for EE's. They all are pretty docile compared to the Reds who are boisterous, noisy, bossy...but Lizzy is not too bossy, she knows shes the queen and is our best buddy in the yard. I sure wish she would keep the other reds from chasing poor Hawkie...

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Twotone is a roo, really interesting color, he is going to be a very pretty bird. How old are the EEs? Hawkie looks like it has a lot of comb in the picture. Nice assortment of production reds there, the ones with the white on their necks and tail feathers look like what McMurray and other hatcheries sell as Red Stars, they are usually super good layers.

6. Candy442

Apr 2, 2013
    Williamston, MI
    Hi Kelsie,

All of the EE's are at around 16 weeks. The local feed store advertised the "reds" as Red Production pullets. The are starting to get darker now, with the lead hen Lizzy more golden in color as you can see with her standing by Little Wing near my DH.
    TwoTone is very pretty! He get's prettier by the day. Lots of colors, almost like the Maran's type feathers, dark black with irridescent green tail feathers. He seems to like Hawkie, but he isn't a rooster enough to stop Diggie, Little Wing, and Peckie from chasing her all over the yard. I was wondering if Hawkie was a male too...but so far only one row of peas on the comb it is much smaller than TwoTone's and "she" will crouch when you put your hand on the back....hen behavior anyway [​IMG]

More pics of Hawkie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    twotone is a cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by